Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-24-2022, 03:06 AM

Well, the Hornet bolt is unique to the Hornet. I have a line on a Hornet bolt for $100 and since that barrel is in such beautiful shape, I think this one is going to be a 22 Hornet.

I will at that point be sitting on a good barrel and bolt for a 218 Bee and since I can’t sit still, will polish up the exterior of the 218 barrel and recrown it while having my friends all keep an eye out for a receiver or a basket case I can scrounge a receiver off of.

Not that I am not chomping at the bit to put one together in 218 Bee, but since the bore in the ratty looking barrel is really nice and I can put together a really nice Hornet and if I used that really nice barrel for a Bee it would be over stamped, I’m thinking this will be the better way to proceed.

That way I will have a like new counterfeit factory Hornet and a very nice Bee that will be its twin except the Bee will not have any roll stamping on the barrel.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:39 PM

I bought a 218 Bee barrel from Homestead and gave them their price. Ouch! But when I spoke with them they said it is the nicest 43 barrel they have ever had come through.

I had cleaned up the corrosion on the receiver and left it with Dennis Olson on Monday and had the barrel shipped directly to Dennis. It arrived and he bore scoped it and said it is absolutely 100% pristine with minimal spotting on the exterior.

My receiver is nice, with crisp serial number and proof marks now. He is going to pull the barrel that is on it. He took a look at it and came away with the same conclusion I did, it has some localized pitting but will probably still shoot just fine. He is of the same opinion as I am on that - the only way to find out is to shoot it and see.

That barrel came out looking good on the exterior after I worked on it by rolling over it with my whetstones for a week to remove the corrosion. Roll markings still crisp and sharp. He will blue it so at this point I am short a receiver. Hint, hint. If anyone comes across a receiver or a complete basket case Model 43. I sure would appreciate hearing about it.

Dennis is going to blue it and tighten the front sight dovetail and I will assemble it into a rifle using a kid's stock I made for my daughter and if it doesn't shoot it will go to JES and be rebored and chambered to 32-20. I have a dandy 32 caliber HPGC 114 grain 4-cavity mold for that, if it comes to it.

Dennis is going to fit the "new" barrel and spin it in the lathe to clean it up a bit, then blue it plus all of the parts I left with him. I have a new stock sitting here to fit to it when I get it back and just got 175 new Winchester cases this morning.

I am short a few minor parts for the Lyman 57A, but they are available from Lyman. Dennis is going to blue the base, plunger and staff.

The plugs have never been out of the factory drilled and tapped holes in the receiver. I'm thinking this rifle needs a Junior Target Spot or a 5A, especially since the barrel from Homestead is drilled and tapped for a scope block.

I'm actually short a couple of Model 43 receivers. If I don't have enough of everything else already sitting here in what I call my "bag of tricks" (my miscellaneous parts) it can only be a pin or maybe a screw or two. I'm tempted to give the Triple K magazines a try, just to see if perhaps they will feed well enough to have a few spare magazines available without going into debt.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-15-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:26 PM

Oh, and I seem to remember you boasting about your 'improved swivel' field bench rest that you said you'd post both pics of the project and plans for those who wish to build one for themselves.

Still waiting for that too.....
Old 09-15-2022, 07:29 PM

A lot of us are still waiting for much of what JD claims he has and will show us in photos, etc.

Did he not do about the same thing, in the past, on the one Washington state hunting forums ?
Old 09-15-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Oh, and I seem to remember you boasting about your 'improved swivel' field bench rest that you said you'd post both pics of the project and plans for those who wish to build one for themselves.

Still waiting for that too.....
If you want to post bold faced lies about others, you might want to post something that is not easily verifiable. Most liars who have enough on the ball get that out of the way before shooting their big fat mouth off.

I have never attempted to fabricate any sort of swivel bench whatsoever nor have I ever claimed to have built one nor have I ever claimed to have some improved design for any swiveling bench of any description.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-15-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
A lot of us are still waiting for much of what JD claims he has and will show us in photos, etc.

Did he not do about the same thing, in the past, on the one Washington state hunting forums ?
I may, or may not, post photos once I have a mechanism through which I can once again post them to this forum.

No. Never. Not one time. Fact of the matter is I quit participating on the one and only Washington State hunting forum I ever participated in when there was a discussion on shooting elk with SMK and other HP target bullets and at extreme range and I asked the simple question. If an elk is shot through both lungs or the heart with a bullet that fails to expand do you claim that that elk is a dead elk and will be dead within a short distance? After allowing sufficient time for the Volley Fire Gang to post their responses I posted a photo of bullet recovered and the animal in question taken by a friend's dad who had shot a nice bull elk and recovered an unexpanded target bullet between the hide and ribs on the far side and scar tissue through both lungs. When that was scoffed at I posted a photo of a page of Elk of North America in which there is a photograph of the heart of an elk that had been shot through the heart with a bullet that did not expand and had scar tissue from the years old wound on the heart itself. At that point the moderator, who I had been warned about when I first joined years previously was anything but moderate, disappeared the entire thread. It didn't fit with his agenda.

So you can put that in your pipe and smoke it, smart guy.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-15-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:52 PM

Different forum, same legendary fish stories.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:09 PM

That's okay, John Daniel. we still will wait for photos of you stuff, and not the one's you pull up on the web or someone elses efforts.
Then we all can see what you are talking about and have.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:43 PM

If I have EVER posted anyone else's photos or work anywhere and done so without attribution it is a very well kept secret. If you would like an example of what I am referring to you need look no further than the posting I placed on this site regarding modifications to Remington 580/788 triggers.

Around the time I was posting what I have learned from others (attribution was made to having learned some of what I was sharing from others, and made it perfectly clear the photos and figures I posted were not mine, but did not give credit to any specific named individual(s), who I wouldn't know the original source of anyway) and experience actually doing these modifications I had exhausted what space I had available for posting photos of my own. The photos I shared were in the public domain and were better than what I had personally and I made that perfectly clear. Since that time I have had a desire to explore other photo hosting options, but it has not been my highest priority.

Some people have unlimited time to engage in such nonsense as online stalking, along with other legitimate online activities, not so with me. As for photos of my shooting benches and parts lists I clearly said that when (and now if I am so inclined), I have the ability to post photos here they will be posted.

That is what I have to say one the subject.

Last edited by JDHasty; 09-19-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
If I have EVER posted anyone else's photos or work anywhere and done so without attribution it is a very well kept secret. If you would like an example of what I am referring to you need look no further than the posting I placed on this site regarding modifications to Remington 580/788 triggers.

Around the time I was posting what I have learned from others (attribution was made to having learned some of what I was sharing from others, and made it perfectly clear the photos and figures I posted were not mine, but did not give credit to any specific named individual(s), who I wouldn't know the original source of anyway) and experience actually doing these modifications I had exhausted what space I had available for posting photos of my own. The photos I shared were in the public domain and were better than what I had personally and I made that perfectly clear. Since that time I have had a desire to explore other photo hosting options, but it has not been my highest priority.

Some people have unlimited time to engage in such nonsense as online stalking, along with other legitimate online activities, not so with me. As for photos of my shooting benches and parts lists I clearly said that when (and now if I am so inclined), I have the ability to post photos here they will be posted.

That is what I have to say one the subject.
You just posted and showed a stock and rifle, then said it was not yours, but one you saw on the web and added, for a example. Nothing wrong with that, many, even I have done so. But we are still waiting for photos of YOUR stuff and not others. You, if I am not mistaken, just also posted in a post that you have ran out of space on posting photos here, and need to locate another server for more. I guess you have me royally confused in what you are trying to do or prove. Don't believe I am the only one. But I guess time will tell.