Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2023, 12:47 PM

Default 19 badger questions

hi
im new to this site. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 19 badger for tree squirrels such as fox or greys? is it too much gun? would the 19 hornet be a better choice? i currently use the 5mm mag. thanks for all your help.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default 19 Badger

Are wanting to just kill them or are you planning to eat them? If you want them dead, the badger will certainly do the job out to 200+ yards. If you plan to eat them, the badger will let you use a straw, depending on bullet selection. I find it ideal for ground squirrels. The whole "know your target and beyond" can be problematic when hunting tree squirrels. Personally, I think a .22LR is enough for shooting in the canopy - and then you still need to watch your backstop. You can go bigger if you restrict yourself to shots backed by a tree trunk.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

I shoot a bunch of prairie dogs with the 20VT(very similar ballistics).
It tears them all to pieces well past 200 yards. You can be assured the 19 badger will take out a tree squirrel.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:17 PM

Talk to Kevin Harrington. He knows more about the Squirrel and Mink series based off the .22 Hornet case than anyone I know. The .22 Squirrel and the .22 Mink "might" work-out to be just what you are looking for tree squirrels. I use the .20 Mink for short to medium range Ground Squirrel shooting...my favorite. The Ruger 77/22 Hornet with the rotary clip (I built one in .20 Mink for jacks) would be slick for tree squirrels. Best of luck on you decision.

Last edited by 410gauge; 01-09-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Welcome to the board!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-10-2023, 09:02 AM

Default Welcome aboard...

George beat me to it, you certainly are at the right place.Glad to hear you shoot a 5mm and are interested in the 19s.The 5mm as you are well aware is tough to find ammo for, a little better since Aguila started making it but still a bit tough.
I currently reload the 5mm Craig cases with James Calhoons 20 caliber bullets.
Not sure if he still offers them, I would definitely call him and talk about your ideas.He can be chatty in a good way.I think like the others in that perhaps the 19s may be a little too potent in the squirrel woods.Have you considered the 17 Mach2? A lot of tree squirrel shooters love it as it is very accurate and flat shooting with plenty of juice and accuracy for accurate head shots.Perhaps a Sako Quad or a Contender could be outfitted with a new barrel for not a lot of money, just my .02

Matt
Old 01-10-2023, 07:13 PM

A .19 Calhoun is a hotter (as fast, more energy) than a .17 Hornet. A .17 Hornet does at 150 yards what a .17 HMR does at the muzzle. In short, way too destructive for hunting tree squirrels. The .19 Calhoun will also have a much longer maximum range and IMO isn't safe for shooting at squirrels up in trees.

The .22 LR subsonic target-grade cartridge is widely seen as the ideal squirrel cartridge. In an accurate rifle a skilled hunter and marksman can take squirrels out to 80 yards consistently. Late season squirrel hunting when the leaves are down can present longer shots where a .17 Mach 2 would extend that range past 100 yards, at the expense of potentially significant meat damage for shots under 50 yards.

As others have suggested, the aptly-named .17 Squirrel approximates .17 HMR velocities (2500 ft/sec) and can readily be downloaded to .17 Mach 2 (2100 ft/sec) or even .17 PMC/Aguila (1800 ft/sec). IMO 1800 ft/sec with a 20gr .172" caliber bullet out of a centerfire cartridge would be about ideal for squirrel hunting... more accurate than .22 LR target ammo, flatter trajectory, good for 100 yards plus, acceptable meat damage on a body shot, reloadable at a significantly lower price than rimfire .17 ammo.

A ready solution would be to either buy a Miroku/Winchester 1885 in .17 HMR, get a centerfire breech block and .22 Hornet extractor, and have a gunsmith rechamber it to .17 Squirrel... or pick up one in .22 Hornet and get a new barrel fitted. Or, get any .22 Hornet and use Trail Boss to give you a 35 gr Ballistic Tip at 1500 to 1600 ft/sec... or do the same with a .17 Hornet and 20gr bullet. The squirrels will never know the difference.

Last edited by obijohn; 01-10-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:28 AM

Only thing that kept me from trying a .19 is bullet supply. To many eggs in one basket so to speak.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:27 AM

Default Think I’ll call James today...

Great idea popped in my head , New Year so time to add to my stock pile of 19 caliber bullets.Wish I could call Todd and get some 17 caliber 30 Golds today too
or any 17 caliber 30 grain bullets for that matter.Or 6mm 105s or 6.5mm or

Matt