Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM

well my 22x47 L took a while but its ready to pick up!

Stiller predator that was a 204 ruger. The machinist that pulled it apart told me not to sell it on our local forum if I wanted to keep my good name. He said it looked like the smith had used an old action and sold it off to me as new. That smith has since been closed down by the authorities and burned a lot of people. Looked like the firing pin had been bushed and a mark on the bolt face looked like it might have been patched with weld and ground.

Anyway the smith opened the bolt up for the bigger round and couldnt find any faults. He's off interstate for a benchrest comp this weekend so hope to go visit him next week some time. It has a 1 in 12 Lilja no 6 and cosmetically very close in appearance to my 6/250

Old 02-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Default 6x47L

If there was ever the perfect cartridge to be used for a all around cartridge this is it!

My journey with the cartridge;

9 years ago, with the suggestion of Barney Lawton I had a Dodd benchrest rifle chambered in the cartridge. PTG made the reamer to closely fit virgin brass body dimensions, .270 neck, .208 freebore for 115's. I also had a Warner die made for it, along with a custom Wilson seater. The rifle was stupid accurate. I shot a few .1's and quite a few .2's with it. At 1000Y I put 5 of 6 shots on a MGM mini popper/4" across widest part. 4 of them were into 1.2"!!! This was with 115 DTACS going 3089 fps.

Got into tactical rifles and sold it, then bought a MAK tube rifle/M700 all fixed up. Smallest group with that barrel was .174 for 5. I won my first long range match with it.

I'm now on my 4th and 5th barrel. On the 2cnd and 3rd barrel I won a long range series two year in a row! Also breaking the course record twice.

It actually doesn't do bad at all at 1 mile with 115's believe it or not!

I bought 1000 cases and sold 250 with the benchrest rifle, lost about 75 in matches. All the other cases have been reloaded way to many times to keep track of. If I were to guess 25 times???

Then I built a 20x47L. 3830 fps with 55's but the bullets wouldn't hold up at that speed. I settled on 4100 fps for 40's which I don't have problems with. This is a very light load for the cartridge.

I love x47L!!!

Last edited by steve123; 02-14-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Supporting Member

With the beautiful rifles shown here my rifle is like driving up to a car show in a "Rat Rod". It's a 788 Remington that started out in 1967 as a .22-250. After a lotta years in Alaska on a fishing boat, (you do the math on that one ) I ended up with it. The action was clean and shiny, the stock was straight with no dents but covered in yellow cracked to pieces varnish and the barrel was so rusted it felt like a file! I gotta a wild hair and refinished the stock to find in amazement a fair piece of actual Walnut (Even called Remington to find out about the Walnut and found out they actually used it for the first little bit before going with Beech or whatever).
I went totally insane after talking with Fireball and had Greg Tannel throw the kitchen sink at that 788 using a Krieger 6MM 1 in 12 twist barrel throated short and had him use all his magic on it.
As a testament to how inherently accurate the 6X47L is, this redone ole fossil here:

Shot these two totally different loads using Varget. This was on it's first serious range trip for load development, the group on the left is six shots (really) and is using the old and discontinued Hornady 70 grain SXSP bullet designed for lower velocities. The 65 grain V-Max load chrono's 3,700 ISH FPs and the 70 grain SXSP load clocks 3,450ish.

It is truly an amazing round!!

P.S.
This is a multiple re-post and I apologize but I couldn't resist when the thread resurfaced, "I Love This Round"! Thanks again Fireball!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Montdoug, thanks for showing us your 788 again. It sure is a beautiful rifle, as mine all have the beech stocks. The target looks nice too!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmg View Post
Montdoug, thanks for showing us your 788 again. It sure is a beautiful rifle, as mine all have the beech stocks. The target looks nice too!
ditto.

Happy for you to post that as often as you like
Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 PM

I have had a shot out of a 6x47, I was shooting with L461 at one of his rabbit patches. I hit the rabbit he indicated at 406 metres, cant see what the fuss is about really.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM

I love my 6x47L.. Both of them.
Here's my long range plinker/steel banger fun rifle.
Remington 700, Manners stock, Jewell trigger, Atlas bipod, benchmark RVC 8 twist barrel, and Premier Reticles scope. Fluting, bolt knob and Cerakote by Longrifles inc. I did all the other smithing.

Its got a fancy for 87gr Berger VLD hunting bullets and 4350 powder. Not lighting fast but I'll take the low SD's and groups like these.

The other one is more of a real hunting rifle built off a 700 with a Shilen 10 twist barrel. I don't shoot this one much cause the other one is so much fun.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM

I did do a 22x47L also, I set back a 22/250 factory Remington barrel to pull it off with zero dollars into it. I tore this one down to build the tacticool rifle above. It was fun to shoot though!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Default 6x47

I got to do some testing on my new 6x47 Lapua build this fall. Ended up taking 5 coyotes and 4 deer. I knew this would be a coyote thumper, but was unsure on deer. All the deer were taken between 150-250 yds. All were one shot DRT through the shoulder. I used the 85 Nosler Partition on two, and the 95 Nosler Accubont on the other two. I've settled on the 70 Nosler BT for the Yotes. My only regret is the gun turned out too heavy. Fine for deer stand hunting, but tough to carry on coyote hunts where I pack in to a area. This gun is scary accurate with both the Accubonds and Partitions(.425 average) Overall, i'm very happy.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Default 22x47 ~ 6x47 ~ 6.5x47

Refreshing this thread with great information and my interest.
Please post your builds and experineces with these 3 calibres

I've since built a 6.5x47 on a DEFIANCE Thinhorn, Krieger 1:8x24", CDI undercarriage, Calvin Elite trigger. I've had best accuracy with 135gr Berger Classic Hunter while the VLD's weren't great. Varget was better then H4350 as it isnt a compressed load with low SD & ES

My BAT switch barrel, bench gun is currently set-up with 22-250Ackley shooting 69SMK @ 3300 fps and 243Ackley shooting 80gr Bergers @ 3420 fps
They both print 1-1/2" groups @ 300 yds

My next build might be a 6x47Lapua, just need to decide on a bullet and pick a twist. My objective is to be between 3750 and 3850 fps. even 3900 fps
This wouldn't be for high volume shooting but for QUICK long range coyote shooting where there's no time for a range finder. Bullet will have very little drop and some wind bucking capability combined with down range energy.