Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Oh I see what you mean now. Just a 20vt in other words with the 23degree shoulder like the FB.
I would be curious also, like you, if anyone did.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Oh I see what you mean now. Just a 20vt in other words with the 23degree shoulder like the FB.
I would be curious also, like you, if anyone did.
Yes...that is what I'm asking about. However, its not really a 20 VT at all with it having a different shoulder angle and datum point.

Again, just curious. I have found no accuracy problems or other issue with the 221 FB rifles or brass that I own, so I have no reason to believe that it might cause issues if simply necked down in a well-built rifle. But, I don't know the answer and I'm hoping someone does have experience playing with it.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-26-2020, 11:14 PM
Supporting Member

Might ask Todd, he probably tried it.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Rallyant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunham View Post
Glen,
The norma brass is good stuff. I don't have any experience with it in 221 fireball. Just running it through a Full length Vartarg die will do it. As I stated in your other thread, the only question will be if you need to turn necks depending on the reamer used for your rifle.

The Redding Full length sizing die is part # 91636. That should be all you need. If you need to turn your necks slightly a 20 caliber neck turning kit from K+M or someone else will be needed. Call K+M and they will tell you what you need.

That is the easiest way if you already have some 221 brass. Forming it from 223 brass is a few more dies and a lot more time.
Thanks jdunham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post

221 is the easiest for sure, but forming from 223/5.56 is not hard, just a few steps with about two to three dies, good off time/winter project.
And LC brass is cheap, easy to obtain, so you can make thousands for way less money, than buying 221 or 17 FB brass. Just a thought. Bill K

Adam Bentley is a member and will aid you in making it from LC. I am sure.
Thanks Bill, do you know what part numbers for the die options to do the 223 to 20 VT ? I think at least one of them is the same die but with the guts removed as mentioned in Adam Bentleys thread?
He mentioned that there may be an advantage in using better quality 223 brass to make some premo 20VT brass?
I do most of my monotonous reloading activities while im stuck on the phone.
I stick them on speaker phone and away I go. Ive found i have WAY more than enough time to get all my reloading done this way. So i am keen to make a heap of 20VT from 223.
Since im sure a heap of it will be one use stuff, lost off the back of the ute in some shooting situations. ill probably have 2 lots of stock. my premo stuff, and my im happy to loose the brass stuff, (cheap 223 supply) maybe even used 223 from mates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I own a 20VT and enjoy shooting it a bunch, and making brass from Remington 221 FB brass is an easy task.

That said, has anyone simply tried to just neck 221 FB brass down to 20 caliber with no change on the shoulder angle and shoot it that way? I know the 20 VT has a "better shoulder" on it for accuracy, etc., because I read it on the internet , but has anyone ever actually tried just necking the 221 FB cartridge down to see if the cartridge is accurate in a well built rifle? I'd bet money that it is.....

Sometimes we get so carried away by the "latest and greatest" that we run right past the less obvious, but again does anyone know from experience about shooting a necked down 221 FB? I'm simply curious and I'm asking because I have two 221 FB rifles and they both shoot extremely well with that "horrible" 221 Rem FB brass... And my 20 VT is no slouch in the accuracy department using the same make of altered 221 FB brass.

-BCB
Thats the first thing i wanted to try. when i was looking at a 20cal option
You could probably just use a 20 Practical reamer and not go as deep?
In theory it would probably just be a little slower? (" because the internet said so lol" )
Old 12-27-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Glen,
the only question will be if you need to turn necks depending on the reamer used for your rifle.
That was another question.
my rifle is not built yet. What size reamer is preferable? Pros and cons?
im not sure how many people in Australia have a 20VT reamer, but the smith i chose does. is it worth buying another reamer if the one he has does not allow norma brass to work without turning?
Or, is the contrary going to be my preference, do i want to turn all my necks?
I feel id like to be able to use the norma, or whatever 221FB brass i can find here, as is after running through the VT die, but also be able to turn down some thicker brass, perhaps from 223 brass?
Old 12-27-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Glen,
The Redding Full length sizing die is part # 91636
That die has no bushings right?
would the redding die Part # 77636 do the same thing? But give me the option of pulling the guts out to bump down 223 brass?
Do I need to buy bushings separately?
I've read it will not size all of the neck, is there a problem with it not neck sizing all the way?
Old 12-29-2020, 01:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Yes...that is what I'm asking about. However, its not really a 20 VT at all with it having a different shoulder angle and datum point.

Again, just curious. I have found no accuracy problems or other issue with the 221 FB rifles or brass that I own, so I have no reason to believe that it might cause issues if simply necked down in a well-built rifle. But, I don't know the answer and I'm hoping someone does have experience playing with it.....

-BCB
I don’t know anyone who done that and I might get cursed out a little bit but I Would think a standard 20-221 would shoot just as awesome. I’d go with a 20 fireball using 17 FB fl-bushing dies to get by with a economy die set...

That said Rem did a 20-221 Imp and I did a 20 Habu Shrew (20-221 Imp with radius shoulders and a tad longer neck. There wasn’t a nickels worth of difference that either one of us could tell.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I don’t know anyone who done that and I might get cursed out a little bit but I Would think a standard 20-221 would shoot just as awesome. I’d go with a 20 fireball using 17 FB fl-bushing dies to get by with a economy die set...

That said Rem did a 20-221 Imp and I did a 20 Habu Shrew (20-221 Imp with radius shoulders and a tad longer neck. There wasn’t a nickels worth of difference that either one of us could tell.

Thanks, Gary.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine