Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2022, 11:33 PM

Ill be following this thread, I have one of the early no1's in 243, such a pretty gun but lacks the accuracy I want.

I just got an 1885 in 22 hornet and when I get dialed i'll be bringing the no1 back out. It has a pretty nice trigger crisp and not to heavy,

lots of good info here keep up the good info

Dennis
Old 03-10-2022, 06:08 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I’d start with the easiest cheapest route and work through the list. My 218 Bee only needed a warm load of lil gun.

When I bought this 17 Kilker Bee it already had a lot of custom work done including a custom Talley scope base so it was pretty much a load and shoot with good accuracy.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5705

If I was in your shoes right now, I’m pretty sure it would have to be some form of the 20-221 on the 357 Max case… or maybe a rimmed 257 Roberts. I’ll be looking forward to seeing the end result!

That is a gorgeous rifle.
I have a real soft spot for octagonal barrels and Mark is a master at making them.
I think the 20 Vartarg or 20 Duster would be a nice choice............Kiwi
Old 03-10-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Thanks Daryl, that was the information I was looking for.

In reference to the above posts about headspace, I would think that those that know about headspace would adjust their dies accordingly to get correct headspace on resized cases............Kiwi
I only EVER partially FL sized the brass, adjusting the dies so there was no chance in touching the shoulder. 26" bl. on the 1B.
I started with 500 cases and fired each case 14+some times, for just over 7,000 rounds. I never needed to anneal my brass, nor did I ever have to bump a shoulder. Partial FL sizing all the way. My slowest rounds were when working up loads. I started using AA1680 I think it was, around 3,300fps likely the first 1090 rounds only with 40gr. I ended up using 16.0gr. Lil'Gun and got 3,600fps with the 40gr. bullets, Nosler, Vmax and Barnes Varminators.
I did load up further in testing, but chickened out on those loads.
I barely got 3,600fps in my .222 Sako, with 24" bl.
Oh, my buddy now owns that rifle and is still using the same brass I used. He noted it was his favourite "plinking" rifle.