Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-27-2022, 09:47 PM

Default The hell??? Gunslick Graphite Lube discontinued

So my old tube of Gunslick Graphite Lube is about empty. Not to worry, I’ll just put it in my shopping cart at Brownells and next time I order it will be in there.

What the!! Discontinued? Nah, that can’t be. Oh, yes it is. I guess I’ll have to add that to the things I look for in out of the way, off the beaten path, Gun shops. What I had on my bench for five decades was in a lead tube, I’ve seen it for sale in tiny plastic tubes and have a couple of those in my range box.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:53 AM

Use to use the same lead tube lube for fishing reels, I'm pretty sure mine was from Mitchel Spinning Reels. Don't know if it's still available thru a fishing web site or not. I think my tubes from the 1970's. Little goes a long way with this stuff.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Use to use the same lead tube lube for fishing reels, I'm pretty sure mine was from Mitchel Spinning Reels. Don't know if it's still available thru a fishing web site or not. I think my tubes from the 1970's. Little goes a long way with this stuff.
Oh yea, I put it on with a Q-tip or dental probe.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:06 AM

If you can't find any of the graphite lube, consider moly lube. In the 70's when we use to build street racers it was what we called "cam lube". Then in the 80's I bought a Beeman air rifle and part of their maintenance kit had a container of what was the same stuff under a new name. What I currently have is "NECO MOLY-SLIDE, 60% by weight", I use it in the high friction gun areas like bolt lugs and camming surfaces as well as sear areas. It's not quite as heavy a grease as the graphite lube but defiantly slick. I apply it with a small modelers paint brush I store in a rifle cleaning brush tube.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

you better stock up then

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-28-2022, 07:22 AM

Exclamation My gosh!!!!!!..........

......it must be close to....the end of days!!!

If I had to, I'd cruise fleaBay for some.......or search for the very old Gunslick, or Hoppe's, gun cleaning kit in the old red metal box.

It might be difficult.......but I'd find it.

Kevin
Old 06-28-2022, 04:01 PM

Went to Gunslick's home page and found that most of the products listed, for sale by them, show "Out of Stock" must be way behind or headed out of business.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:34 PM

Used to use it for years, until I found other things once I started working on semi-auto pistols. Been using Tetra Grease for a long time now, a silicone grease with teflon (PTFE) in it. It is white, not black.

Kevin, more memories. Still have the red metal Hoppe's gun cleaning kit and still like the smell of No. 9 solvent.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up You bet!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Used to use it for years, until I found other things once I started working on semi-auto pistols. Been using Tetra Grease for a long time now, a silicone grease with teflon (PTFE) in it. It is white, not black.

Kevin, more memories. Still have the red metal Hoppe's gun cleaning kit and still like the smell of No. 9 solvent.
You surely refer to the "old" Hoppe's No.9.............the one with the now-banned nitrobenzene.

Makes a great aftershave..........wimmen love it........or so I've always told myself.

Kevin
Old 06-28-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
You surely refer to the "old" Hoppe's No.9.............the one with the now-banned nitrobenzene.

Makes a great aftershave..........wimmen love it........or so I've always told myself.

Kevin
I got a heck of a chuckle over that. A friend of mine had a girl friend who made a comment like that ~ 1980. She told him that the way I smelled remedied her of her beloved grandfather. I told him that I was going to dust my hair in flour and steal her from him.

FWIW, I still have about half of an amber quart bottle of original Hoppes sitting on my shelf. I don't use a lot of it, but I still use some.