Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-08-2022, 09:45 AM

Default To full length size or not?

Hi,
Looking for peoples opinions on case resizing.
I currently, in the main just partially neck size using bushing dies.
Some have been telling me I should full length size every time.
I was also told all the top target shooter in America full length size.
Can anyone confirm that?
Which method do you use?
Thanks Ken.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:43 AM

Just about everbody I know in the BR world FL sizes there even getting away from really tight necks.
I believe in FL sizing also I bump my shoulders .0025
+or- .0005. If you dont keep your cases separated by times fired though bump can be all over the place.
Annealing does help if you dont.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM

You'll get opinions from dyed in the wool neck only sizers and full length sizers.
Try both. The target won't have an opinion.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

I agree with Hog Patrol. Do what shoots best. BR shooters do by in large FL size, but they are strictly worried about ultimate accuracy. However their guns, barrels and chambers are built very different than an off the shelf rifle.

I still only neck size all belted magnums because it avoids the bulge at the belt that forms after 4 or 5 firings when you FL re-size. I have brass that goes 20 firings by just neck sizing. They still shoot well under an inch and for hunting that is plenty accurate. I neck size Hornet based cartridges for the same reason, brass life. All the Hornets I currently own will do better than 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:30 PM

The majority of top shooters do FL size Ken. I believe Speedy Gonzales had a really good article out ( may have even been posted in the daily infomation section of this site, you might search) on always FL sizing, as he does.
But as mentioned, you are going to get answers from some, saying yes, other no.
It is one of those procedures that you have to settle on, for yourself.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Other than my K-Hornets, I FLS everything else and bump for .002 +/- and re-anneal every 3 firings or so. Re-annealing with my Bench-Source machine is so quick that I'm thinking about re-annealing every firing cycle just to keep the bump more consistent.
BR shooters FLS for a lot of reasons, most of which don't apply to most of us, but one of the most important is keeping the brass sized so that it chambers effortlessly. Most BR shooters nowadays "run" their groups instead of being a "picker" like I always was. For a "runner" one of the worst scenarios is a balky case whether it is a clicker coming out or a tight round going in, either will probably upset the rifle to some degree and your run is ended, then it is very difficult to re-establish to any sort of match winning degree. There was a video on accurateshooter the other day of Bart Sauter putting 5 downrange at a match winning level in 9 seconds. Just for fun you oughta try that sometime. It takes a lot of practice and attention to the tiniest detail to achieve that level of performance. I have nothing less than awe at the level BR group shooting has achieved.
On another aside, my Bench-Source (Vertex) annealing machine died recently and I had to send it in for repair. Some interesting things I found out were that my machine was #47 of over 6,000 that they have made, that all the internals have been changed at least twice, and that for $300 they will re-manufacture a machine to current specs and return it in less than a week. It runs so quietly now that I had to mark the little case spinning table to be able to tell it was running. Also, they have stuck with the original cabinet so they could continue to update machines without having to start all over. Thought some of y'all would be interested.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:24 PM

Howdy Bill,
I asked the question because…..up to now I’ve never had a problem with only partial (First 3/16”) neck sizing, until now when I thought I’d try some Barnes TTSXBT bullets in my .243.
I sized the necks for .003 tension which works for me with lead core bullets.
However, with the Barnes bullets seated for correct OAL the neck was only gripping a very tiny full? diameter part of the bullet between two (A design feature of TTSX bullets) cannelures.
The pressure to seat them (Only loaded 10) seemed okay, but later when I picked one to check runout the bullets had almost disappeared into the case.
I’ve pulled the bullets and resized those ten with .007 neck tension and the seem okay.
I will also try full length sizing some cases too.
Thanks, Ken.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:11 PM

Sounds like the neck size only on those cases is not enough and it is allowing the bullets to be free to slide in or out of the neck.
Size some FL and compare. I will stick my neck out and say, I bet you start FL sizing for reliability and good neck tension.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:01 PM

Doh,
Just been searching and remembered I don’t have any full length dies for 243.
That’s easily remedied though.
Thanks, Ken.
PS. I’m going to load a few cup and core bullets with the same neck tension, just to confirm it’s the shape of the Barnes that’s causing the problem.

Last edited by kenbro; 02-08-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:18 PM

I fl size everything, including belted mags, never have had chambering issues. The belted mags I size off the shoulder same as unbelted. I want all my hunting rounds to just chamber without bolt tension. For my custom barrels, that can be only 0.0015 headspace, some factory barrels seem to need twice that. Winter AR ammo 0.004 headspace, so bolt will close without FA from mag release in subzero temps. If you just neck size and typically run near max loads, you will need a body or FL die session eventually. If the primer pockets hold up. Want to avoid galling the lugs is another reason for minimum bolt close force.