Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-31-2022, 04:25 PM

Default Howa Mini - Solution to Magazine Problem

The Howa Mini 1500 has been plagued by issues around the design of the factory magazines (poor QC), plastic bottom metal, and placement of the magazine release causing magazine ejections during normal usage.

I own a Howa Mini and it took some work to get it sorted out. I replaced/upgraded the stock, trigger, and bottom metal. A couple of years ago Oregunsmith introduced a replacement bottom metal (hinged floorplate - blind magazine) that solved the magazine issue.

More recently, Jefferson Outdoors introduced a replacement drop box magazine that utilizes CZ527 magazines (.223, 300BO, and 6.5 Grendel). For those who want a removable magazine, Jefferson's bottom metal makes the Howa Mini a reliable rifle.
https://jeffersonoutdoor.com/bottom-metal/
Old 07-31-2022, 06:32 PM

I have been lucky, I guess. The only issue I have had is the bottom plate on the magazine trying to come off. I glued it on and had no other issues. I watched a video before I got mine and they said that you must load the magazine from the front to not spread the feed lips, and mine has fed like butter from day one. I will admit that being a .222 might have a great deal to do with the feeding issues. The mag release does need a stronger spring for sure, but i figured that I would just shorten it. I have a love / hate relationship with the stock. I love the light weight. I love the way it feels shooting. I ended up just bedding the lug and grinding out the forend to make sure that it never touched the barrel, and have pondered filling it with epoxy but don't want to add weight. IF/ when the 6ARC comes out, I think I will get the flush one so I can shoot as a single shot more easily. I al,ost pulled the trigger on a B&C for their 4th of July sale, but just could not justify the money when I like what I have. Stocky's has Carbon Fiber seconds for a reasonable price, "for CF", if anyone is looking. These are a real gem of a rifle at a reasonable price!
Old 07-31-2022, 09:24 PM

I had the bottom plate on the magazine come off and it took me about an hour to locate the parts by backtracking to my truck.

So how in the heck? When I got home I was on a mission to discover the mechanism of failure. It happens each and every time I put an empty magazine in the magazine well and “slapped” it home. The inertia from the mass of the spring will allow the little tit jump completely out of the hole. It never managed to find its way home either… until I chamfered the hole and put a point on the tit. Now it may jump free, but goes right back in place. I was careful not to go too deep on the chamfer or too long on the point.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:58 PM
Supporting Member

Really like the looks of the Jefferson Outdoors blind mag with no hinged floor plate; would be just the ticket for my single shot use. I have an Oregunsmithing blind mag with hinged floor plate now, and adapted a single shot follower to it. It has worked well but have hit that release button by accident a couple times, minor annoyance.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:42 PM

A while back MDT made some prototype magazines for the mini but shelved the project:

It looks like there is a chance it will come back:

https://mambamag.com/

I'd really like a 10-round 2.5" magazine system to build a 6PPC rifle to shoot the local matches.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM
Supporting Member

Mine has a DIP bottom metal with a flush mount mag release. I like it just fine.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Mine has a DIP bottom metal with a flush mount mag release. I like it just fine.
Ours too. I like it just fine.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:39 AM

Some people get lucky with their Howa Mini 1500 magazines. I've got the Oregunsmith blind magazine/hinged floorplate and its a huge improvement over a unreliable rifle.

For years I have been hoping that MDT would make an aftermarket magazine for the Mini Howa. I got excited about the MambaMag until realizing it was only for the 1500 (full size) model and not the Mini Howa. Also, it is pretty expensive $180 for the mag and then also have to buy their bottom metal.

By all appearances, Jefferson's solution is a good solution/upgrade for those wanting a removable magazine that is guaranteed to perform. I really like the CZ 527 metal mags.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-02-2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:27 PM

My buddy had the same issue with the bottom plate and said he put a little spot of Shoe Goo on the tit and if he needs to disassemble it he said he can just push it loose with a bullet point. Then puts another spot on it when he puts it back on.

He saw me using Shoe Goo on something a year or so ago, probably a heavy recoiling rifle or 12 ga slug gun scope rings to make extra double damn sure the scope wouldn’t slip under recoil and he has gone plumb nuts for it.

Good stuff. We used it on our hockey skates when I was a kid. It holds really well on most everything, but can be peeled off of non porous items fairly easily.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:53 PM

Curious if you did shorten the mag release spring? Did that work?
Thanks