Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
ON the weekend, I met an Alberta, Canada bullet maker who expressed an interest in manufacturing a 20Cal bullets
I suggested a product in the range of 38, 39 or 40grains which would stabilize in factory 1:12 twist and provide an expanded market place.
I didn't want to push the 50 or 55 gr. idea due to such a small market for that weight... at least not till he gets the 38-40 gr. off the ground.
I provided him with samples of the Berger 35, 40, and 50 gr. also 39SBK
I don't know anything about bullet making so I can't explain his process other then he makes his own jackets.
He said shipping outside of Canada wouldn't be complicated and would appreciate the expanded market place.
I hope he was serious about accepting this task ...
All I can say is...bye bye berger
Who, where? I know of only one Alberta bullet maker and I don't think he is interested
Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I don't think that I'd want a 55 gr. .20 varmint bullet. I am using, at max, 50 gr. .22 varmint bullets, and that is for my big .22s. For .223 and under, I am using .40 gr and less. I have to imagine that a lot of other varmint hunters are doing the same, and that is why they are being dropped.
The 55's work good if you are set up for it - fast twist barrel. They buck the wind very well at longer distances. I have a rifle built for these bullets so it hurts me to find this out, fortunately I can shoot 40 grain bullets with the same accuracy as the 55's. Anything lighter than that they spin too fast and won't stabilize and or blow up. My next 20 cal will have a 10 or 12 twist now that there are no 55's.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
Who, where? I know of only one Alberta bullet maker and I don't think he is interested
Regarding 20 Cal bullets I would encourage anyone who interested in this product to e-mail the company president and provide a positive interest as a consumer.
The product is in the very early stages of planning.
CANADIAN BDX
attn: Kurt
E: mail@canadianbdx.com
Old 03-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Regarding 20 Cal bullets I would encourage anyone who interested in this product to e-mail the company president and provide a positive interest as a consumer.
The product is in the very early stages of planning.
CANADIAN BDX
attn: Kurt
E: mail@canadianbdx.com
Don't want to bother them with one question, so do you know if they/he will be offering a lead free bullet, 17 or 20 cal for those of us having to go to lead free in July -2019 ? Bill K
Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Don't want to bother them with one question, so do you know if they/he will be offering a lead free bullet, 17 or 20 cal for those of us having to go to lead free in July -2019 ? Bill K
Bill...can I please suggest you e-mail Kurt directly with any questions.
He is passionate, skilled, and knowledgable with respect to bullet/ammo production and very approachable with any questions/comments.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Supply and demand, you get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Hornady quit making the green tips. They are not dropping the 32 Vmax, just quit putting the green tips in the Vmax and selling them cheaper. Same bullet different color tip. When I bought my 7SAUM, I bought it knowing that I may never be able to buy brass or ammo for it, so I bought 400 pieces of brass, so "if" they never made it again I would still be able to shoot the gun. For future reference "if" I build a gun around a unicorn bullet, "I" will buy as many bullets as I think will burn out the barrel, so I am not stuck with a gun and no bullet. As far as mfgrs. getting rid of .22's, they may drop some really low volume sellers, but by volume I would put my money on them not dropping .22's. I really feel for those that built a gun around that bullet, but "if" there is truly enough demand for a 55 grain bullet, someone will make it. Hopefully even if it is a run every couple of years.
I would suggest that the way to avoid having a shortage of your favorite things in life is to buy what to others appears to be an excessive amount. That goes for just about everything. If all of the membership just on this forum would buy 1000 of a particular bullet then there would surely be enough to keep even a botique manufacturer busy and well funded.

As you all can't seem to put together 50 guys who really are ready to buy such items in a bulk order / group buy, the conclusion I can come to is that either most of us are like me, who purchased enough in bulk initially to never run out of components, or most of us here are not interested any longer in this and don't actually shoot all that much.

I suggest you get together and either form a LLC to manufacture your own so you understand the cost of this endeavor yourselves, get a group buy together and stockpile a lifetime supply, or switch calibers.

Hutch
Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Has anyone tried Black hole bullets? Lots of .20's and .17's to choose from.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Has anyone tried Black hole bullets? Lots of .20's and .17's to choose from.
I have shot the black hole 20 cal. That diamond tip is very devastating on critters and they shoot very well. Have not tried any of his 17 ca. and he is not going to furnish or make a non-lead, which I will be switching to in a month or so, due to Commie California's stupid law. But Blaine's bullets are very good, if you want standard type. Bill K
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 PM

55s in .20 for sale here: Don't whine about the price or payment methods.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...llets.3974895/

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 03-18-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 PM

Heads up on some Berger .20 caliber 50s and 55s.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ss-sale#UNREAD