Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM

I am with you. In rimfire and someone not wanting to reload, a WSM would be great.
But I enjoy reloading and the hornet will, of course, out cruise the rimfires and reach out better, and a person can work up a very accurate load.
Just depends on your wants and needs. They are all fun and have a place in our sport, style and shooting. Bill K
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM

here's my .17AH with 25gr.Hornady Moly coated and AA1680.

This group with one flubbed is 25gr. Vmax - also moly coated, same vel. as above, 3,640fps.

Same CZ bl. very tight chamber.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
it's a hornady hornet in a cz american
I can’t say that I’ve read a bunch on the 17 HH but what little I have, I don’t remember anyone getting 3800. I think it’s just your rifle... but I will check and see what Kind of results I get with mine.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Yes, but a lot of folks, say the WSM is one of the greatest things since Sliced bread. Bill K
I own two 17 WSM rifles and I couldn't agree more about it being a great cartridge. But that doesn't make it a 17 Hornet in comparison when you look at velocity and even energy with the bullets that each one shoots. That said, I also own a 17 Hornet and a 17 Ackley Hornet that fill needs that the 17 WSM can't and doesn't.

17 Hornet - Advertised factory velocity of 3650 with a 20 grain bullet:

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...nce-varmint#!/

17 WSM - Advertised factory velocity of 3000 with a 20 grain bullet

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/win...fle-ammunition

17 WSM - Advertised factory velocity of 3300 with a 15 grain bullet non-lead bullet

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...e-17-wsm-ammo/

Just trying to keep the train on the track where it belongs

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-06-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: links added.......................
Old 05-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Ah the .17 hornet................

Glad we have choices in this great country. 17 hornet for me "been there done that". But, with thousands of rounds reloaded each year for various calibers, I guess the .17 hornet was one that got "chopped" out for me. I'd rather spend my time actually shooting stuff than reloading 30 different calibers....been there done that too.
But, if one enjoys the .17 hornet more power to um.

I've got two .17 WSM rifles and they aren't going anywhere soon, except to the killing fields.
And, Bill...........since I don't eat "bread", I have to disagree whole heartedly about my favorite rimfire being likened to a sliced carb loaf

Back to subject at hand. I got velocities with 20 gr Varmageddon Tipped bullets and 12.2gr AA1680 that were right at 3700. Rifle was a CZ 527 Varmint in the factory config.
So, your rifle has a "fast barrel" potentially. But, as long as pressures are good and obviously your accuracy is there. Enjoy that little CZ 17 Hornet.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
I seem to be getting some pretty high velocities from my cz. today I shot a .379 five shot group with 12.44 gr of aa1680 with a 20 gr vmax at 3830 fps.

25 gr vmaxes shot a .50 5 shot group at 3515 fps, now that's a groundhog thumping load.
That sounds about right.

Mine's a 20" barrel - 11.6/1680 with 20gr bullet is 3650, give or take. Tried 12.2/VV120 and got something like 3825, accuracy mid .3's.

Surprise powder is AA2200.......11.7 to 12.2 produced groups right at .3" but didn't have it on the chrono.

Never shot 25's in that gun, 23gr. Hammett is the heaviest.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Same with me Matt: Sounds and looks good. Be thinking about adding a 17 WSM or CZ 17 Hornet to the fold
This makes me lean towards the hornet. Bill K
Now Bill, I think you're looking at this all wrong.

See, what you should be doing is looking at this as a great opportunity, because now you have legitimate justification as to why you need, BOTH!!!

Like many of the others, I have both. For me, I look at my 17 WSM as a volume rat shooter where I can shoot all day and not worry about saving brass or having to spend any amount of time reloading it. The downside, rimfire ammo compared to centerfire ammo, particularly hand loads, is definitely not as good. The 17 WSM ammo isn't terrible, but it certainly is great either. But, for the most part, it's more than capable for killing rats at some pretty impressive distances for only being a rimfire. The WSM won't have the same splat factor at 300 yards the 17 Hornet does, in fact there really isn't any splat factor much beyond 250yds but it'll certainly kill them with no problem. I think Eric Mayer has made quite a few kills well past 400yds with a variety of different 17 WSM guns so they're a very capable rat shooter.

If you're looking for a small case capacity centerfire 17 cal that you can dial in and do more precision shooting with, then you'll definitely prefer the 17 Hornet. The little 17 Hornet will extend your range and deliver a little more thump too.

It's kinda funny, I have two CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornets and one 17 WSM, but I shoot my 17 WSM twice as much as I shoot my 17 Hornets, combined.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 AM

You are taking me wrong B23, not one thing wrong with having all or more. It is just that I have a super accurate 17HMR and also a 17 Fireball, so this would fit just right in between those two, without having the WSM.
I guess I am just conscious of trying my best to have good relations with the land owners that allow me onto their lands and I pick up my brass, even the rimfire, rather than leave it as I have seen others have done in various areas, since they feel they don't need to pick it up and reload as they would their centerfire.
Those small rimfire casings are a pit sometimes, but I don't think the rancher/farmers would like to see it in their fields and bailed up in the alfalfa bales.
Anyway that is my thought as to why add a hornet into my 17 rifles. But I fault no one for what one's or amount they want to buy and own. Bill K
Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Decisions Decisions......

At work we call these “first world problems”
Which car or truck to buy,which new gun to get,I am very thankful that currently these are our worse issues to resolve at the moment.For some crazy reason I struggled with getting a 17WSM,my problem was that my 17AH could be reloaded to duplicate anything that a 17WSM could do,however as time went on I saw the benefits of a neat 17 rimfire and it certainly allows me some more time to shoot.Problem is I think a CZ 17HH rifle would also fill a niche,Heck they are all useful,and now that my daughter has taken a liking to my 17 rimfires I may just “need” a 17HH too
Matt
Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Supporting Member

I've always been anal about picking up all kinds of brass - both CF and RF. Even when I'm hunting.

Years ago I took two shots with a 22-250 at a couple of coyotes and ejected both cases into about a foot of snow. I couldn't find either one when the dust settled. I went back about two months later after the snow had melted and found both of them laying right where they landed, so I picked them up and took them home with me to reload.

I doubt that I would have returned and been looking if they had been RF cartridges.......... And this was done on private land owned by someone else. YMMV...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.