Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 12-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Default Apple Cider Vinegar (acetic acid) - will it hurt brass if used in cleaning?

I’d like some thoughts on a brass cleaning procedure I tried today.

I’ve got a LOT of brass to clean and get ready for loading. I like working with really clean brass.

I read somewhere that an apple cider vinegar solution would clean brass without hurting it. So I bought a quart of apple cider vinegar which is labeled “5% acetic acid by volume”. I put the solution (right out of the container) into an ultrasonic cleaner I have. This unit has a heater so it heats the solution up quite hot, and of course there is the ultrasonic cleaning action as well.

I sized and de-primed 50 cases, and put them in the cleaner for 10 minute, then took them out, rinsed them well in water (several times), and dried them with a blow drier.

Then I ran them through one of my vibrating tumblers with crushed walnut shell using “PEEK” as an agent. I gave them a couple of hours in there and dumped them out.

They look new. I mean they look brand new. Inside and out, primer pockets, flash holes, everything. They look like absolutely brand new brass. I’ve never seen brass that clean.

So obviously I’m pleased with the results, BUT I’m in reviewing some threads on the internet I’m wondering if the hot apple cider vinegar can damage the brass. Some sources say if you only leave them in the solution for 10 minutes it will not hurt them at all. Other sources say this can lead to split cases and all sorts of problems.

Anybody got any thoughts on this? I’ve got hundredsof rounds of brass to clean and I do NOT want to damage it. But man, does this ever clean them! Wow!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Supporting Member

probably wont harm the cases but rinse in bicarbonate of soda then rinse in clean water,white vinegar also works well and some mild detergants.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Supporting Member

Go to 6mmBR articles, they have a good article to read. I tried it and it cleaned well but some cases did turn a odd color while most didn't. Not sure why.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 PM

Default Vinegar for Cleaning Cases

Should be no problem cleaning cases with vinegar. I use white vinegar to clean cores. Make sure you rinse with water.

Another method I use is with my vibrator tumbler using crushed walnut shells. 15 minutes and the cases are clean not shiney. I care more about clean than shiney.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 03-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Default Citric Acid ...

SP , I don't have any experience with [acetic] acid , however recently ran across a thread on other site that was expounding the merits of using Citric acid. I found some [1 lb] powder food grade @ the local Beer & wine brewing supply place for $4.50.. have only used it one time but had excellent results. I just used 140° water @ 2 Tbls per quart , 10 mins & rinse 3 times in warm to hot water then dry. The citric acid leaves a coating that will prevent tarnishing . Does not harm the brass case in any way . Should work well in your sonic cleaner also. Don't buy at Super Market , to costly.. My 2¢ Russ.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Supporting Member

I clean my brass in an Ultrasonic cleaner, with just distilled water and a much smaller amount of white vinegar than has been posted elsewhere. Followed by a solution of distilled water and baking soda.
I also add a little Dawn dish soap, you can experiment.

I've noticed that too much vinegar leaves a texture on the brass that inhibits my case forming. I'm working 223 down to 17 fireball.

Other than that I agree with whats been posted.

This is one great site !

Jim
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM

Default Citris Zep

I use an ultrisonic unit with a little citris Zep [home depot] and just rinse with plain hot water,clean enough for this old boy. Frank C.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 AM

I too use citric acid but find that if left in the ultrasonic cleaner too long the cases begin to look copper colored at the neck area, as though the acid is removing the zinc from the brass. I don't know if that can happen but it certainly looks like it to me.
Ken.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
I too use citric acid but find that if left in the ultrasonic cleaner too long the cases begin to look copper colored at the neck area, as though the acid is removing the zinc from the brass. I don't know if that can happen but it certainly looks like it to me.
Ken.
That can't be good.
Bob