Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Default first blood for the encore MZ

Yesterday I hunted MD for deer. It as the last day of the Buck/doe early muzzle loader season. Next week is doe only. I wanted a Buck but all I've been seeing is slickheads. Just before dark 4 came out in the wheat field. Right away I saw the lead doe was a cripple. Her back leg was gone from the knee down. Figured I'd spent a lot of money on outta state license fees, better start bringing home some meat.

They were working their way toward me but well within range. When the doe separated I sent a 195 gr Dead Center bullet right thru her. The smoke cleared and she was down. The others ran off but her twin fawns came back. I felt like crap..had to shoo them away twice. But, I found out she was dried up and they were plenty big enough to take care of themselves. And...her leg was healed over. Just a nub of cartiledge below the knee. Not a lick of bad meat. I had originally thought it was a fresh wound. She obviously was getting around quite well, enough to raise twins.

Had backstraps for breakfast and butchered it up this afternoon. Now for a buck.

BTW...that's the third deer I've shot off this farm that's been crippled. Got some slob hunters to deal with obviously.

Last edited by csterner; 10-22-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Supporting Member

you did good Charlie and the right thing to do. Her fawns will grow up just fine.

ML
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Michael...it was on the farm across Rt 15 from the hotel you last stayed at in Emmitsburg. Good many deer over there...just wish I could find a decent buck...and that the idiots would stop shooting their legs off.