Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 AM

Default A different take on large scope objectives (like 56mm)

New member here! Hi!

I just bought a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger, and need a scope for shooting prairie dogs. I also have a -10.5 diopter eyes, which is very bad nearsightedness. I can count on one hand the number of people I’ve personally met with worse eyes. For example, without my Coke bottle glasses on, I cannot see the typical eye chart *at all* or recognize family members at a few paces. I can see sharply at ~3 inches.

But, with glasses, I see 20/20. I mention all this because from what I gather, I lose roughly 7%-10% of light coming into my eye (can’t find my source for this stat anymore). When I used to use contacts, the brightness difference was noticeable. I use glasses because I see better with them vs contacts. BTW I buy the best high-index plastic lenses for my glasses to keep weight down.

Soooo, what am I getting at? Two things; a question and a public service announcement. The question will be about “eyebox” (as I understand it, a black magic combination of exit pupil + eye relief) and the PSA will be regarding crap eyesight.

Eyebox: I see a lot of pooh-poohing of large objective scopes. I have a 4-14x44 scope, and at 14x, where I’d be when shooting p-dogs at longer ranges, I have to get my head juuust right to not have any occluding “black crescents”. At that magnification, the exit pupil is 3.14. So my question is, will a 56mm front objective scope, set at 14x (e.p.=4), make head placement noticeably less strict? Remember, I’m not asking about the amount of light; this is more about ease-of-use and comfort. And I’m not sure how much my thick eyeglasses make the eyebox situation worse.

In short, large objective scopes would seem to be easier to quickly look through, and less tiring during an all day p-dog shoot. Is a 56mm scope noticeably more user friendly than a 44mm? Weight is not a concern, as I shoot from a bench.

And the PSA: not all people have nice eyes, so don’t come down too hard on large objective scopes. I imagine some buy them for status, but some may be helped by them.

Tags
exit pupil, eyebox, large, objective, scope