Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Supporting Member

Angry problem with European small flash holes.

I have a rifle that shoots 5.7X28 rounds but the brass is kind of weak so I decided to try some 4.6X30 brass. I used an external neck expander, shortened it a hair in my neck trimmer and then ran it through my FL forming tie. The decapping pin jammed in the flash hole. I checked my other cases and they all had flash holes that would not accept a standard pin. I think the last time I ran into this I used a small drill bit to open the hole to accept standard (American size) pins but is this a correct way to fix the problem? Does anybody sell a European size decapping pin?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Problem with European small flash holes

Interesting. I used a set of Lee 17 VHA dies and never had any problems de-priming my 4.6x30 cases. Bill K
Old 04-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member

Some of the loaded ammo is made by Fiocchie and may have the American standard flash hole size. I've contacted a couple of Die Manufacturers that have smaller diameter decapping pins but have not received any replies yet. I think the last time I had this problem I got the correct size drill bit for the American flash holes but I really don't like doing that -- seems like I'm fudging problem, not fixing it.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 PM

As I said Boomer, I never had any issues de-priming and I started out with Fiocchi and then some other brands, and none gave me any issues and never touched or had too drill out the flash holes.
Guess you will work out your problem, one way or another. Bill K
Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 AM

I recommend Mighty Armory's universal decapper with the small decapping pin. It's an extra step. This is a first class die & pins are guaranteed for life.

Link is here:

https://mightyarmory.com/products/co...or-all-presses

Last edited by pertnear; 04-20-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
I recommend Mighty Armory's universal decapper with the small decapping pin. It's an extra step. This is a first class die & pins are guaranteed for life.

Link is here:

https://mightyarmory.com/products/co...or-all-presses
I hate it when you guys do this crap! You throw the bait and don’t even have to bother setting the hook. I just jump right out if the water and into your net.

Seriously it looks like a very nice decapping dies to have. I see a .20 but no 17 though.

And I wouldn’t drill the flash hole, would definitely try and procure a smaller dia decapping pin die.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 04-20-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:24 AM

Regular flash holes are .080,I think.
Lapua make .308 Palma brass with a small flash hole which is .059 diam.
IF this this is the same size hole in your brass, someone should be selling decapping pins for that size.
Ken.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Forster used to offer decapping pins that were turned down on one end for use in small flash hole ppc brass. May still be available. One could also reduce the diameter of one using a drill and emery cloth.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
As I said Boomer, I never had any issues de-priming and I started out with Fiocchi and then some other brands, and none gave me any issues and never touched or had too drill out the flash holes.
Guess you will work out your problem, one way or another. Bill K
Bill, I honestly hope you realize that just stating that you have no trouble with this brass is of no help to me. I was wondering if you took the time to measure the pin diameter of you die. If it's a LEE, they are inexpensive and would love to just buy another die set. The one I have now is an RCBS. I decided to go through all my small cartridge die sets last night and did find that my custom set of hornady dies does have the smaller diameter decapping pin. The pin measured .061" -- the pin on the RCBS die that won't work is .069". I'll contact LEE and verify they make the pin size I'm looking for.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
Bill, I honestly hope you realize that just stating that you have no trouble with this brass is of no help to me. I was wondering if you took the time to measure the pin diameter of you die. If it's a LEE, they are inexpensive and would love to just buy another die set. The one I have now is an RCBS. I decided to go through all my small cartridge die sets last night and did find that my custom set of hornady dies does have the smaller diameter decapping pin. The pin measured .061" -- the pin on the RCBS die that won't work is .069". I'll contact LEE and verify they make the pin size I'm looking for.
No, I never took the time to measure, as they worked from the get go and therefore no need too do so.
I know many die makers sell both large and small pins, so this would mean that you need the one for the size flash hole you are dealing with.
Or if, for some reason, your flash holes are different then you will or would have to modify a pin to fit.
That is about all I can offer you, in solving your issue. Bill K