Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-09-2021, 06:29 PM

My local taxidermist has mounted a few pushing 70 pounds here in the northeast.

Development around here has done more to destroy the wildlife population than coyotes. Use to be farms all around me, fields, hedgerows, stonewalls, apple orchards, duck ponds and trout streams. Now there is mostly cul de sacs and hardwoods. The grouse population is zero! No more laurels. The rabbits come and go as they live in backyards and are easy pickings for cats and coyotes. The trout streams are filled in and muddy

Times change and in this case for the worst depending on how you view life?
Old 01-11-2021, 10:57 PM

Man that is a lot of development for the north pole! First, you had a 22 PCP rifle in your hand, the cross hair behind his ear and he walked off. Who is the smart one?
I am with Dean! When they loose fear of people, it is time for them to go. And yes they do kill small dogs, cats, and attack children and adults. It is getting worse all over the country. I have a great respect for coyotes, but just because they have lost their fear of humans does not mean they are tame!
Old 01-12-2021, 02:44 AM

They never even knew I was there. That is what was amazing.

Every coyote I have ever crossed paths with or called in was gone in a flash as soon as they knew what was up. I haven't come in any contact with any tame coyotes.

The whole point of the story is I happened upon 2 coyotes bedding down relaxing without a care in the world and I was a stone throw away. That never happens.

As far as passing on the shot, the bigger of the 2 didn't have great fur and the coats are better in February.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:24 PM

In my neck of the woods you committed a sin. I passed on 2 red foxes once on a farm I hunt. We don't see them often any more, they were not in season and they were beautiful sitting side by side on the hill. I don't remember how the poultry farmer found out, but I was told in no uncertain terms that if I passed on a fox or coyote on his property(BIG farm) I would not be hunting there again. Every property holder has told me the same thing.