Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2021, 12:42 AM

The only way to find "The real world" in accuracy from any of the HMR brands ( since 98% of it is all made by the same company and labeled with a company brand/logo) is to buy a box of each and see which one works the best in YOUR RIFLE. Then you know and can focus on getting the make/model and shooting to your hearts content. What my rifle likes and shoots the best, may not be the one yours does.. Do you own testing.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:02 AM

Don't have a 17HMR, but for 22lr, even lot to lot production variations will affect how it shoots. When you get a good lot of a given RF ammo, buy all you can afford.

Last edited by TinMan; 01-16-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 AM

Exactly - both of you are spot-on..
Old 01-16-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
We need slightly better than that as we use the .17HMR's to 200yards.
The first year, we tried to stretch that to 240 but got too many crawl-offs.
That said, every spring we sent to WoodJam range, I managed a couple gophers at 280 with the Martini. I couldn't 'touch' one with the Marlin - shots landing all around him. The Marlin works every shot at 200yards though. That was the first Marlin and the Martini, both liking the 17gr, Vmax Hornady the best. The TNT's and 20gr. did not shoot well in either.
This new Marlin gets develops extra speed and really likes the 20gr. HP Winchesters. I haven't tried them on field rats yet.
Has anyone?
Seems to me, that in the 17g.r Vmax bullets, the silver tips were in Federal Boxes, black for Winchester, red for Hornady and green for Remington.
I find Winchester brass has varying headspace. Seems to me, I noted that somewhere before.
I have never stretched one out that far! I got a .17 WSM and It will smack a Pdog at 300yds with no problem. I do know of several people who prefer the 20 grain or the 17 h.p. As everyone said, you won't know until you try.