Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Speaking of seldom seen Sako's

Not many of these around either. Was hiding in a small family gun shop in Twin Falls, ID a couple of years ago before following me home.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Hello,

May I ask if the stock is a Herrett? What caliber is the Sako? I purchased a small head single shot Sako action some years back, and wondered if your pistol was a 0.378" head and also a single shot?

Rick W.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Those are beauties.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM

Not fair flaunting that little gem. If you guys think it looks nice in the pictures you ought to see it in person!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 AM

There is a pistol just like that on the front cover of Hodgdon’s 2007 Annual Manual.

L461 action, Herrett stock, Tony Barnes trigger, and.204 Ruger barrel by Bullberry.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Rick,

Pistol is made from a Sako A1 action; 15" tapered octagon barrel in 6TCU; single shot - no safety; awesome trigger; awesome wood and smith work. Came with a Burris 3-9, but I have a new 3-12 to put on it. Can't say who did the stock or the smith work, but was told these could be ordered from the Sako Custom Shop at one time. Do have the contact info for the gent that it was originally made for though... guess I ought to call him for the complete details one of these days. Remember a picture of one very similar owned by Bill Ruger in 223 on the cover of a gun rag many moons ago too.

As TRcuda said, very poor picture that doesn't show how nice it really is.

BTW #3, now that you've handled it (and not counting my other's), which gets top billing... this one or the custom XP-100 223 I traded you out of?

(as much as I love that 223, there are lots of custom XP's out there so I have to pick this one by default)

Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi Ladobe,

Thanks for your time and response. Tis a nice piece. :-) I have always admired that design; the octagon barrel really sets it off. Kinda feels like a classic metal target gun, because of the caliber. I like the scope selection, one cannot shoot any better than he can see; Lord knows I like scope power.

I was curious about your action, because years ago I purchased a single shot, small head, Sako AI in the blue box at the Market Hall gun show. I had mine made up into a 222 improved with a AAA Richards Microfit stock(bastone).

Guess your picture gives me food for thought...................

thanks for showing the Sako,

Rick W.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Top billing

Ladobe,

As much as it pains me to admit it, I would have to pick the Sako over the XP. I have built and or handled many XPs, some approaching or even surpassing the one you got from me but I think that your Sako has to be #1 of all I have seen.

BTW, I did not mean to imply that it was a poor picture. As usual your photography is excellent, just that you have to see it in person to appreciate it!

Last edited by trcuda; 01-06-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Rick,

Pretty hard to beat a custom specialty pistol even if for just shear enjoyment of ownership. Being less common also adds to the fun. The fact that most of them shoot every bit as good as rifles is another big plus. But like you, old eyes do need the extra help of top glass on them, especially when the targets are small and the ranges long. Since this one is strictly a bench shooter (no safety) it's main diet is small diggers when the winds pick up enough to push around the 17's.

Beat your's is a looker too - sounds like a nice rig. Pictures?

#3,

Thought you'd have to go the way I did, but I really do love that XP too.

Not to worry about the picture posted pard... it's not mine. It's a collage of the ones the seller sent to me and that I bought it from. With any kind of luck and health we'll get much better pictures of it at this years DW (how's that for positive thinking).

BTW, we still need to dream something fun up for that 221 XP collecting dust here. I've got a beautiful new walnut stock almost whittled out to replace the Fajen Victory, but still need to pick a chambering/barrel if we're ever going to do it.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Hello Ladobe,

Never saw an ugly small Sako action.............:-)

My little project with my Sako single shot action is barreled up with a Douglas #2 and is blued nicely now. The stock was bedded by an old local gunsmith. The attempts to get the stock finished has had their problems, so the barreled action is out of the stock awaiting reworking of the stock. Kinda one of those projects that seems to go on forever and a day. Hopefully will get to it sometime, and get the stock nice to match the metal work.

Early on my shooting, I tried a Contender in 17 remington as a first varmint type pistol, but being an old benchrester, I could never get used to the heavy trigger. So that one got sold. So kinda looking over other pistol ideas (bolt gun) nowadays, something with a light trigger and nice lines. Kinda thinking of "borrowing" the Sako action from my project and adding a 16+ inch barrel, then getting a suitable pistol type stock..................ah, tis fun to dream along sometimes.........

Don't know if I have a way of posting a picture or not, not sure if I have a source for the pictures to reside; I try to remember that computers are my friend..............

All aside, you have a very nice example of the Sako art; hope you keep it and use it well.

Rick W.