Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 11:39 PM

Default Never had this happen before!

Fellas,

I had the strangest thing happen today. I went for a walk with my .22 PCP bullpup to pop a few grey squirrels for the pot. It was a bit windy and a little chilly. I did a bit of scouting, randomly browsing around in a relatively small area of about 20 acres looking for signs of squirrel activity.

I came to an opening on the wood line that runs parallel for quite a long ways, there I just scanned the opening looking for anything of interest when after about 3 minutes roughly 15 yards in front of me I noticed fur! A small coyote gets up and stretches and just strolls away without even seeing me and at the same time another coyote, a big one gets up in the exact same spot and stretches like a dog an watches its companion walk away. I put the cross hairs behind its ear but decided to just let it be.

It sat there for well over a minute stretching and licking itself without even noticing me at all... It even looked right in my direction a few times. Just go's to show that wilde coyote isn't so smart after all.

I believe it was a male and a female hanging out together as I never see them together like this. I even had orange on, so much for camo.

I'm still in amazement.

Last edited by Jingle; 01-06-2021 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 PM

That is amazing. IT happens. 2 buddies of mine called in 5 grizzlies while elk hunting, 3 of which were adults. 2 of them had single 2-year old cubs with them.
The bears came in from 3 corners of the compass to the boys who were sitting on their tree stands, feet on the ground and their long-bows on their laps. That
is the last time they bow hunted. The bears never did see them, even though within 15' of them. All stood up, looking all around, seemingly right through the boys.
One Woofed as it caught their 'scent', then all dropped to all 4's and took off, running in single file right past Len. He said if I moved my bow tip 30", I could have touched
them. Bow hunting in BC is so much fun!

Last edited by Daryl; 01-06-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:29 AM

Damn!

I'm not afraid of coyotes at all, but bears There is a black bear in the area but I have never seen it and its to cold right now. 5 grizzlies and I would probably be all shitted out for life.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Supporting Member

What you are also seeing is Coyotes losing all fear of humans. You should have shot both of them if you can. Not only would you have saved a lot of deer, fawns and other game animals it also gets rid of an animal that is rapidly becoming dangerous to humans from its lack of fear of them. Coyote attacks on humans are rising quickly and there have been 5 fatalities to humans in Canada in the last few years. Far more people are attacked by yotes than bears up here. I am sure it is likely the same in the States.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
What you are also seeing is Coyotes losing all fear of humans. You should have shot both of them if you can. Not only would you have saved a lot of deer, fawns and other game animals it also gets rid of an animal that is rapidly becoming dangerous to humans from its lack of fear of them. Coyote attacks on humans are rising quickly and there have been 5 fatalities to humans in Canada in the last few years. Far more people are attacked by yotes than bears up here. I am sure it is likely the same in the States.
I’m not doubting your claim of coyote attacks and killing of people, but have not heard of that happening in any area I’ve lived. And the coyotes I hunt are quite afraid of humans.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I’m not doubting your claim of coyote attacks and killing of people, but have not heard of that happening in any area I’ve lived. And the coyotes I hunt are quite afraid of humans.
No one killed yet, that I know of in this commie state by coyotes, but there are numerous reports over the last couple of years of them attacking/biting people, one child was something like 1 yr old of slightly less, in yards and on trails in parts of the state of Commie California. It will only get worse as they move away from attacking animals, i.e. dogs, cats in cities, looking for food.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Fellas,

I had the strangest thing happen today. I put the cross hairs behind its ear but decided to just let it be. I'm still in amazement.
I never had that happen before, either!!

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I never had that happen before, either!!
Me neither Danny, if I have the crosshairs behind the ear/or on the head, I give them a brain clearing pill.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:12 AM

I will admit, if you were to take a shot on a coyote with a .22 pcp air rifle this situation was perfect.

Were I live I have never seen a coyote take any deer down. Bobcats are much more destructive in that department by killing fawns. I could never just shoot and animal for the sake of playing God.

Coyotes get a bad rap as their land is being taken away at neck break speed and is replaced with Cul de sacs and lots of house cats. House cats are pretty destructive to. Take a rabbit away from a cat and it will go right back to the nest and kill another. I do understand wildlife management but that doesn't mean kill every coyote on the planet.

My uncle owned a Christmas tree farm with lots of coyotes and I use to beg him to hunt there and he said leave the coyotes alone they keep the rabbits dead and the deer away, lol...
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

I have seen coyotes take down fawns in my backyard and nearby. I live in a rural subdivision and since almost no one hunts the deer around here it actually helps having the coyotes around to control the deer population. Any coyote that does not immediately depart at the sight of me however gets sent to yote heaven.

I have also seen them chasing deer while I was out hunting. Every single one of those gets a pill if I possibly can, as does any other coyote I see. Some call it playing God but when you can shoot 500 yotes a winter there is no shortage of them and they are tremendously hard on the local game populations. Yotes up here run 30-50 pounds so a couple of them have no trouble taking on a deer.