Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Supporting Member

Killed many inside San Diego with a bow. Neighbors reported me to the head office, it wasn't illegal, but i stopped long enough to let pets disappear. After that they didn't curtail my venture. 100gr four blade through the neck.

Adam
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

They are starting to show up in the populated areas of South Florida. Animal Control just trapped one that was eating the local pets in Boca Raton, Florida and people were getting worried that children might be next. The Yotes have been down here for a while just not seen in populated areas -- or maybe just not recognized.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

The problem is a high number of them suffer from mange here
Old 06-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Two funny stories from my days with the USFWS ADC Program. I was the DFA for Grant County, WA and some of the bordering counties where it made sense for me to cover from Moses Lake. I got a call one morning from a farmer that I did not know, who had already woke the County Extension Agent up to find out who to call. He had put in a new corn field a ways west of George, WA that he had set up an irrigation system that was a large tube(about 16" Diameter) with milk jug type stoppers fastened every foot or so along the tube. Water flowed through a headgate and into the tube and was stopped by the closed end of the tube. Irrigation occurred by opening each milk jug lid and the water running down the farrow to irrigate the corn. When I got there The whole lower half of the field was washed out on to the frontage and county roads blocking traffic until they could clean it up. I went over to the now drained tube and it was pretty easy to see that a pack of coyote pups had found the running water irresistible to play with and had torn out the milk jug ends and ripped the main tube until all the water was free to run over the new cornfield and wash out the roads. I could not set traps because of the location (to visible) and there was no livestock involved, but I did do a bunch of early summer calling and killed several pups and adults in the area.

Later that same summer, I got a call from an orchardist that had just installed a drip line irrigation system in his orchard. He said it had worked very well with the plastic tubes buried under the ground about 6 inches and tubes watering every tree with much less water than any system that he had tried before. What he was fuming about was that another family pack of coyotes had dug down to the moist soil and finding the ends of the plastic tubes had pulled them up all over the orchard causing a lot of $$ lost. This was to settled an area to trap also so I got to do more calling and took a few out of there too.

There was also a watermelon patch that was ruined by the coyote going from melon to melon and biting just a enough to get into the juicy meat before going to the next melon, darn near ruined the whole crop in one night.

I have seen coyotes in Spokane and in Seattle, they seem to do quite well.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON