Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-21-2014, 03:47 AM

Default Pac-nor Barrel wait time?

I put an order in with Pac-nor today and I was told a 6-8 weeks wait time on any barrel. Last time I checked it was more like 16-18 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else was qouted the same. Their website says the short lead time but what would cause such a drastic change in lead times.

Just curious is all
Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 AM

Default Pac-Nor barrel wait time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunk_85 View Post
I put an order in with Pac-nor today and I was told a 6-8 weeks wait time on any barrel. Last time I checked it was more like 16-18 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else was qouted the same. Their website says the short lead time but what would cause such a drastic change in lead times.

Just curious is all
I would say work load more than anything, then also some lee way on their part. Bill K
Old 11-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Supporting Member

The last time I ordered a Pac Nor barrel I was told 8 to 12 weeks. Got a call that it was on the way at 3 weeks.
And like Bill K says, depends on work load AND supplies in stock.
For all of us that are snowed in, rained out or just working on a winter build, order it up and be surprised when it shows up.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Default Pac-nor

Good business is to always under promise and over deliver.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Howdy

I was just on Pac-Nor's website. I've always seen reference to the various options for number of grooves, polygonal rifling etc., but what are the perceived or realized benefits of a 3 groove vs a 6 groove in the same caliber and twist barrel?

I understand the poly premise.

TIA,

Gary
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Supporting Member

Talking to Penny many years ago at Pac-Nor when I first discovered this site and was spending the kids inheritance on toys for myself made with .17 and .20 barrels she told me of Pac-Nor's start with 3 groove barrels.
According to her, Pac-Nor had contracted with the US Army Marksmanship Unit to produce .30 caliber 3 groove barrels for them (I take it for granted that those guys know some stuff!). Their reason for wanting three grooves were interesting and made a lot of sense to me at least, being a simple shooter and reloader ("REALLY" simple according to some ).
She told me that their thoughts at that time were first, with only 3 grooves there are fewer angles and edges (so to speak) on fewer lands and grooves and therefore made them easier to clean. Also, with fewer lands and grooves each land and groove is thicker and with that advantage the throats last longer because there is more metal there.
She didn't mention an addition in accuracy as one of their deciding factors but as many can assure you the accuracy in a Pac-Nor 3 groove is as good as any out there.
Short version of that story is "Easier to clean and the throats last longer".
She said too that the employees started messing with those 3 groove barrels and testing them both in their work and in buying them cheap for personal projects cause they work there and not only saw the benefits but really liked em and "wa-la", 3 groove barrels all over their line up. I don't know about all the Army's beliefs but I can say from personal experience (Every single .17 and .20 caliber barrel I've purchased is a Pac-Nor Super Match 3 Groove Stainless ("if it works don't fix it"!) and whether it's the Pac-Nor barrels themselves or Greg Tannel's mastery of small caliber gun-smithing I've yet to have a disappointment (knock wood) and each and every one of em shoot far better than I do .
I haven't burned up a throat yet cause I haven't shot an individual rifle enough to do so and I'm careful about such things and they do clean like a dream if I do my part so that's my personal observance for what it's worth .

As to delivery times, I have to say that to-date I've always felt like it took forever cause I'm an impatient man but in truth they have always been on time or earlier than promised but I haven't ordered one in a while. I'm obviously a Pac-Nor fan.

Last edited by montdoug; 11-21-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM

I have a 3 groove Pac-Nor that has well over 2,000rounds of AH through it average speed is 3,600fps with 25gr. and 3,900fps with 20's. I can not measure any throat erosion and seating depths for 10 thou crush are identical as when new.
I was re-chambering it for the .17Rem when I (guess I) overfed the reamer and broke it. Now, I'll have to wait until I can afford a new reamer. Crap, but it will be done before field rat time this coming spring.

I think the 3 grooves might be the best for hot ctgs. which is the why-for of my rechambering desires.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Default 3 Groove

I can't speak for the PacNor barrels, but I have a 3 groove Lilja 6mm, 12 twist that is chambered in 6x45. This barrel is extremely accurate and cleans very easily. Sorry my reply is off topic of the original thread.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:58 PM

Default Sorry for hi Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnwell View Post
I can't speak for the PacNor barrels, but I have a 3 groove Lilja 6mm, 12 twist that is chambered in 6x45. This barrel is extremely accurate and cleans very easily. Sorry my reply is off topic of the original thread.
As a matter of interest, what weight bullets are you able to stabilise with your 12 twister?
Thanks,Ken.
Sorry again for hijack.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 AM

Ordered a Pac Nor .172 1/9 twist 3 groove from one of the two Canadian places that I know of who deal with Pac-nor on Jan 12, 2015. Touched base with the dealer again 8/17/2015, still no word on a barrel so something obviously did not happen the way it was supposed to. Not blaming anyone just annoyed that I will not have a new barrel at all this coyote season.