Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 AM

You know, you guys are right!. I don't feel easy about altering this rifle. But I also ran this by Bob Green some time back when the idea first hit me, and he said he didn't work on it. Don't know if I came across wrong and he perceived me as a PIA, or he just doesn't work on odd ball rifles with snap-on barrels. lol I've had Pete Pieper do 3 guns for me. He works with fussy PIA's who desire 5 shots into 1/2", but doesn't work on Annies, or CZ either.

I've kept it in great condition for 35 years, well oiled, and in a gun sock in my safe. The epoxy bedding I told you about doesn't even show unless you take the stock off to see it. But it really annoys me how little these rifles have gone up in value. (Shoulda bought an H&K 91 for the same price 35 yrs ago!! LOL). By the time I advertise and sell it on GB, pay the commission, stand on line at the Post Office, and then try to find a nice wood stocked CZ in Houston just as nice for $750 + $60 tax (I'm fussy!), it's a wash out and I simply broke even for all my trouble of not defiling Annie.*I keep telling myself that the CZ is a better idea for a front lock-up, and the CZ stock will give me a larger barrel channel to accept a slightly larger barrel if I prefer the better heat dispersion. Not to mention finding a smith should be easier.

(no epoxy bedding shows, and this rifle still wouldn't sell for much on GB...pathetic)

PS Took me forever last night to find another host to replace photobucket, Image shack, & TinyPic. Wish this place did it like most other forums.

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-18-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM

[quote=Teddy Bear Rat;284625].......The chamber reamer is not the problem; the magazine length with the long, streamlined bullets is, whether .22 or .20. A shortened Hornet would get you there, however...................

TBR,

Why would a magazine pose a problem when a custom reamer can eliminate those problems associated with overly long standard factory bores? Maybe I don't understand what you are saying.

If one is desiring the bullet to be right up against the lands, but the magazine lets say only holds a max length of 1.775" OAL, then one simply instructs the reamer to be built so that the 1.775" AOL length Hornet cartridge puts the bullet right up against the lands. Of course, as with any wildcat, we decide what length bullets we intend to fit in the case when figuring the reamer. I always make sure I pick a bullet I like that can go long or short in the chamber but still fits in the magazine.

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-18-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 PM

The really streamlined, high BC, explosive bullets that have been such a game changer for the Hornet are long and have long ogives. So, when seated deeply enough to fit the magazine, the case mouth extends beyond where the ogive starts. Now, this can be remedied by trimming the neck way back, and many do this, and some even create a "wildcat" of sorts with a special short necked reamer, but eventually you start really decreasing already limited powder space.

This is a .22 CCM, but you can see how the case mouth extends beyond the ogive, getting worse as you go to the right:

If you stick with the classic "Hornet" bullets, you have no problems. The lighter 35 gr. plastic-tipped bullets can also make a big difference.

TBR
Old 09-20-2019, 05:25 AM
Supporting Member

Sell the Anschutz and get a CZ/Remington Sako if you can afford it, that'd be my take and save yourself a lotta grief on the overhaul. I bought a Varmint CZ 527 Hornet and sent it and a .20 Ackley Hornet reamer to Pac-Nor. They chambered one of their Stainless Steel, Super Match, 3 groove barrels and put it all back together. This was a couple years back. Shoots lights out (I bedded it), and the whole enchilada including their barrel and the work cost me $660.00. You should certainly get more then that for that Anschutz.

The first time out smacking gophers with it we had shot a heck of a mess of em dead all over a pasture and a young badger ran into the field and grabbed one. He was hatting out when I shot him and he bit down real hard with his dying breath. That's the new rifle and the thieving badger still chomped down on the stolen gopher. Still funny to me and that rifle didn't cost much and certainly shoots a half or better if I do my part. Fantastic little round that .20 Ackley Hornet.

I use Calhoon's single shot follower so I ain't swearing it'd feed well. Calhoon probably has one a his magazines that would make it a repeater but I never done it. Heck of a price for a great little rat smacker.
Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 AM
Supporting Member

I just went to Pac-Nor, great number of wildcats they chamber for, including the .20 Ackley Hornet. They also make pre-fit barrels and have a smithing service that I'm sure pleased with.
Anschutz holds a great resale so maybe something in all that works for ya without trying to get someone to work with that pinned barrel.
Let us know what ya come up with .
Old 09-20-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
I use Calhoon's single shot follower so I ain't swearing it'd feed well. Calhoon probably has one a his magazines that would make it a repeater but I never done it. Heck of a price for a great little rat smacker.
This was always my problem with the various K-Hornets in the CZ 527: achieving smooth, trouble-free feeding from the magazine, and most end up using them as single shots. I've actually had a bit better luck with the Anschutz Hornet magazines, though I've only built and owned one such rifle. I bought one of the Calhoon CZ magazines, but my .17 AH didn't feed that well from it...admittedly, that could be an isolated experience, though. You add to that the OAL limitations using the great plastic-tipped bullets, and a good, smoothly feeding, repeating "K" is an elusive rifle, which explains why many just go single shot, i.e. the Cooper 38 and others.

I don't disagree that the CZ 527 is probably the most practical and expeditious way to get there, and before the ready availability of that nice little action, we were twisting in the wind on projects like this, but that doesn't necessarily make it the most desirable approach for every one. The various Savage rifles offered in .22 Hornet would also work...but then you have created a very expensive Savage . I would personally rather own a nicely executed Anschutz .20 K-Hornet than just another commonplace CZ, but, again, that's just me.

Back to the OP, what you want to do can be done. It's just a matter of preference. I wouldn't fret much over the epoxy bedding. That rifle is nice enough, I doubt it would impact the value that much. If you plan to use a heavier barrel, I would go another route, since, as you point out, the fore-stock is not really wide enough. Either way, you'll have more into the customized rifles than you'll be able to recoup, but such is the way of custom everything. If you're looking to retain value, the original, non-wildcatted rifles will always do that...those and vintage Coke signs .

Good luck.

TBR

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 09-20-2019 at 02:15 PM.