Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
I've never found a bad bullet from blems I've bought.

I have bought several bags of Win brass from the store at times
and found up to five without primer fire holes punched thru per bag of 50.
Nearly every bag I've opened had at least one.
Same here, George.....

Its been maybe 3 years since I bought the last ones I've bought, but in many cases the "blem" is just being slightly off color or whatever, but I've never bought defective blemished bullets anywhere, any time. They have always weighed consistently when checked, and they have always shot extremely well when used.

I did buy some Winchester brass maybe 10 years ago that was like George described. IIRC, 6 pieces were bad in a bag of 100. I contacted Winchester and they promptly sent me 20 replacements that were all good. It was brass for a 270 Winchester Model 70 FW so I wasn't overly worried about BR accuracy from weighted and sorted brass if the new stuff came from a different batch. It was used in a hunting rifle that I had acquired, and I still have the rifle and the brass.

I guess I'm just lucky. Except I forget to buy Lotto tickets sometimes. Oh well............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM

I am with the two of you on the blemished bullets. Over the years I bought hundreds, if not thousands of the second's put out by Nosler, mostly in the 224 caliber for varmint shooting in the fields.
They worked just as well as the main line bullets did and for the most part the only difference is just the finish on the bullet, they just did not get or take the final polishing, which I could care less about.
It has saved a lot of money, by using them. Now however, since I had to go to lead free, the lead free one's are not as available as the lead one's where in the past. But I will continue to buy and use any of the blemished or second's that I can get my hands/order on. Bill K
Old 12-21-2019, 04:50 AM
Supporting Member

I suppose like many things, ones definition of a bad blem bullet could be pretty subjective....

I never did take time to learn how to post photos here so you can try to find my profile photos here on this site to see some blem bullets (keep in mind I already removed the bad bullets and all the huge chunks of lead and lead wire) and also some “bad” remington 357 max brass that would make George’s brass a better deal

Or here is my search-

https://www.google.com/search?q=saub...iw=375&bih=553
Old 12-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Gary you described sierra blems to a t. I bought some at sierra and had to throw half of them away. they were blitzkings and some had polly tips and some didn't, some were missing polly but had led extruded out the tip. not again.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:11 PM

There's a difference between blems and seconds in my experience. The blemished bullets may have slight discoloration in the jackets but the seconds sometimes should be called thirds or forths or even floor sweepings. Some Midway seconds were horrible: Bullets bent and empty copper cases came in mine. Bunches of scratching on the copper too. I marked the loads with the scratched bullets and didn't see any obvious fliers.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

Bob did you ever shoot any of the Sierra's. i bought some but haven't been to the range to see how they shoot. The sample batch they showed us didn't look too bad BUT the over all box of bullets was less than impressive. Th dia and weight and the OAL of the good bullets were the same as any other new good bullet. The tips leave a lot to be desired though. I hope they're MOA of Squirrel. I might add I opened a new box of Sierra 39 gr to compare the blems to and the second bullet I picked out was fully formed with tip but no lead.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
There's a difference between blems and seconds in my experience. The blemished bullets may have slight discoloration in the jackets but the seconds sometimes should be called thirds or forths or even floor sweepings. Some Midway seconds were horrible: Bullets bent and empty copper cases came in mine. Bunches of scratching on the copper too. I marked the loads with the scratched bullets and didn't see any obvious fliers.

Good post. Terminology that possibly varies from one producer to another probably needs to be factored into the equation.

Probably 20 years ago I saw some "factory seconds" in plastic bags in a Cabelas that obviously were not cosmetic blems. They were mostly obvious culls, and since I could see that, they didn't get a second look. They were advertised and labeled as seconds and not factory blems. Maybe the next ones they had were totally different in name and quality?

As stated earlier, so far I've never been burned by something advertised as factory blems. Who know what tomorrow might bring. Everyone's mileage might differ......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM

When I lived in KC 20 years ago, I belonged to a range that was an hour away, and then another half hour to get to Sedalia. So, a couple of times a year, I would visit the factory store and stock up. Over the years, I have bought a couple 10,000's of their bullets. At that time, they sold seconds by the pound, not by any specific count. The weights were usually 'generous' because they knew there were some bullet types that had higher percentage of bad bullets. They were usually a very good deal and shot quite well. When they started making the plastic Blitz King bullets, they were awful at first. Often you would get some lead squirts out of the tips, but were simple to clip off and smooth/round up the tips. Both HP and SP bullets shot as well as the green box
bullets, at least as my rifles and I could shoot, and that was usually well under 0.5MOA.
Sometimes they were never cleaned properly and a bit discolored or even oily. A tumbler does wonders for either problem.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:59 PM

I’ve been with Jim (Calhoon) when he was shooting blems. Some looked pretty awful- even having grinder marks etc. toward the tips where he had to smooth them- most had a lot more than cosmetic issues. Anyway, they shot very well.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:50 PM

I have shot the blems from Midway for years, Vmaxes and I can't say I ever missed a Pdog or crow because of the bullet. I would not shoot 1000 yd. matches with them but for varmints, why not. If you find a bad bullet, throw it in the trash can!