Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Big 17 versus the 20s and many questions

Last couple of days out to my scrap pile I missed one and then shot one but was unable to find it. Very unhappy with myself, I thought it prudent to shoot some paper.

Set up a target and shot a group, WTH? Bullets all over the place, no resemblance of a group. I went home and cleaned the barrel and went back to shoot a group.

I shot a fouler shot and it was about 3/4" inch low. I was relieved and continued to shoot a group to confirm zero. Well a pie plate would have been pretty safe as shots were just spraying all over the place.

My case is pretty much identical to a 17 Predator and I estimate I have under 600 rounds through the barrel. Sure appears to me that the barrel is toast. What are you guys getting for round counts on your big 17s? This is gun was only a fur harvesting tool.

Gun was shooting fine then nothing. Scope is not suspect and every screw and bolt is at proper torque.

So, what are my choices for premium 17 barrels? I am in Canada so getting barrels is slightly more difficult. I know of Pacnor, Lilja, and Shilen.

I love the big 17s, I have a bunch of 30gr Berger and Gold Bullets, and the ballistics are pretty hard to beat, plus the minimal muzzle blast is nice.

Is there a 20 bullet that is as fur friendly as the 172 30grs that will match or exceed their ballistics? I ask only because a 20 Cal barrel will give me more maker options and more importer options.

Is there any 6mm bullets that are remotely fur friendly? I have a 6x47 Lapua setup to shoot 105gr bullets.

Any Canadians got a fast twist 17 barrel blank they want to sell? Yeah wishful thinking, I know.

Merry Christmas all. Make some homeless fleas for me.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:39 PM

I'm shooting a straight 204 right now with the 35 Bergers and its very good on fur.

Its not quite as flat as the 30 grain 17s but its pretty close.

The only one in the 20s that I used for a year was the 20BR loaded with the 50 grain Berger Match bullet. I had only one exit hole on coyotes all year and it shot very flat. Only problem is they discontinued that bullet and went to the 55 which is hard on fur inside of 300 yards.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:54 PM

If I went with a 20 I would likely do a 20 Predator or a regular .204. Sourcing bullets may be an issue. Only reason for going with a 20 at this point is the ease of getting a barrel from a premium maker but there will be a long wait time. I could go with a Lilja .17 in their in stock Rem varmint contour but I am looking at 600.00 plus for the barrel as quoted by one Lilja importer. I want to consider other options before I do that.

I love how flat, lethal, and fur friendly the 30gr bullets are on coyotes going 4100fps from close calling range to long range. I have a problem with short barrel life but will have to keep a couple in stock and ready to screw on so I do not run into the same problem mid fur season.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM

It is most uncommon for a barrel to go from tackdriver to scattergun in a manner of a few shots.
I have tried to stoke the furnace of a standard 17REM and use the excel form the bench rest folks have made.

As you can see your barrel ought to have some good shots in it still. Maybe it "just" needs a thorough carbon and copper cleaning?
Old 12-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Have to agree with chickenthief....my stock 204 done the same thing this year.....went from nice tight clover leaf groups(.2 to .4 groups) to "patterns" (1" + groups)with a tried and true load that has been performing for the past several years. Changed out scopes and same thing.....patterns instead of groups. Started cleaning the barrel and just when I thought it looked and "felt" clean I noticed a "drag" just at the throat area....got to working on that area with carbon cleaner and when the cleaning rod with a patch felt smooth all the way thru the barrel I put it on the bench and it shot lights out just as it has for years. As for 20 calibers, I believe UnMussig makes 30gr 20cal bullets, so a 204 should get those 30's moving as fast as your 17 with 30gr bullets.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:12 PM

I am puzzled by the abrupt end to any shred of accuracy as well. I don't shoot the gun on paper every week or two so I don't exactly know what has been happening, seems weird as well. I am taking off to do family stuff and am going to soak the bore with cleaner and give it a very deep clean.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Bore feels smooth with no tight or loose spots with a oiled patch.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

There's a 'smith other side of the hill who learned from Ackley. He's a real fanatic about bore cleaning and especially carbon buildup in the leade.

Have/can you inspect the neck and throat with a scope some kind? I am still working on a system to use the macro lens on my 35mm. Auto stores have some inspection tools which you may be able to find.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:29 PM

I would also suspect a carbon ring in the throat. Do you use bronze brushes when you clean?

Aaron
Old 12-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Troy, put a bore brush on your rod and see what it feels like as it passes the throat area versus the rest of the barrel....I too did not feel the carbon ring with just a patch but noticed it when I put a nylon brush on. I then used C4 carbon cleaner with a bronze brush....it took a while but eventually the brush would pass from breech end to the muzzle with the same even pressure. I too could not figure out how this gun was put away last year after yote season and all of a sudden this year it went crazy. Some people use JB or Iosso paste on the throat to get the area cleaned out, but mine came back after just using the C4 and bronze brushes.