Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Hi Troy,

I'm shooting a 17-204 (30 Nagel) and a 20 Practical (40 Berger)for coyotes. I do prefer the 17-204, but the Prac ain't bad either and I'm sure the barrel will last way longer. I couldn't get the 35 grain Bergers to shoot as well in my 20, so I'm sticking with the 40's for now. They are slightly harder on fur than the big 17's no doubt, but with solid chest shots the 20's are good.

If it were mine, I'd give the bore a good cleaning with JB Bore paste and then clean some more. I believe carbon is the devil in these small bores.

My 17-204 barrel is a used 17 Rem Douglas barrel that I had rechambered. I bought it off this site from Spook and I believe he said it had 300 or so rounds through it. I've put another 150 down it and it shoots great still. When the barrel goes, I'll screw on another.

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Agree with other posters. My money's on a carbon problem. JB bore paste and scrub the daylights out of it. Your accuracy should return.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Its pretty yard to inspect the bore in these little calibers. I don't have anything on hand.

I am going to soak it for about 24hrs and give it a good scrub after that, nothing much to lose at this point. Then I will try another scope before I call it quits and spin the barrel off.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Supporting Member

I had the same thing happen with my 17 Remington at 700 rounds..

JB with what seemed like a lot of cleaning brought it back. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Lightbulb Years ago......

......when I had a badly fouled H&R 17-223 barrel.....I always had to remind myself........if I hadn't used up at least three bronze bore brushes.....................................I ain't tried hard enough!!

Merry Christmas!!
Kevin
Old 12-25-2014, 09:27 PM

I use KG-1 carbon remover and i'm sure that there is many like it and just as good out there. Unfortunatly i cant get them but i can get KG-1.

For copper i have found nothing that compares to KG-12.

We are in the 21'st century and there is no need to scrup 'til you're blue in the face and destroy multiple brushes in the process. Let the chemestry do it's magic and relax with a cold brew

I once started on a Swedish 96 Mauser from 1914 that probably never had seen any kind of cleaning prodict during it's long and hard life. It took me less than 3 days working afternoons only to get 100yrs of gunk and grime out. Coat properly and wait, patch out and repeat.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenthief View Post
I use KG-1 carbon remover and i'm sure that there is many like it and just as good out there. Unfortunatly i cant get them but i can get KG-1.

For copper i have found nothing that compares to KG-12.

We are in the 21'st century and there is no need to scrup 'til you're blue in the face and destroy multiple brushes in the process. Let the chemestry do it's magic and relax with a cold brew

I once started on a Swedish 96 Mauser from 1914 that probably never had seen any kind of cleaning prodict during it's long and hard life. It took me less than 3 days working afternoons only to get 100yrs of gunk and grime out. Coat properly and wait, patch out and repeat.

CT,
That is a Prescription I will take seriously!

I know its been said before, that if a different caliber of similar pressure and load would probably do the same thing...but 17s do seem to be much more susceptible to the required cleaning regimens...

I have had a lot of previously owned 17 REMs and no matter their condition when received, they still needed further cleaning.....

Bill
Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Not much to add, just for what it might be worth, my .17P is at exactly 784 rounds down the pipe. It rarely shoots paper, rarely shoots anything except coyotes, had been three or four years since I had even checked zero. But had occasion to work up a new load for some new bullets this fall and it still shoots just fine.

- DAA
Old 12-26-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Dumb Ass

Thanks gentlemen for your advice. I thought I was keeping the bore clean but I was wrong. After a deep cleaning I shot a couple of rounds and it took three shots for the point of impact to be predictable. Shot a couple of three shot groups and it is back to expected accuracy. Went out this afternoon and shot two coyotes.

I am still going to look into getting a back up barrel.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 PM

I also had a similar problem with my 17 Rem. On a lark I called Tubb's outfit and they coated some bullets for me with their abrasive compound. Half a dozen shots followed by one treatment of IOOSO paste and the barrel was shooting nice dependable groups. One upshot of this process is that I now always scrub with IOOSO and never have a flier issue.