Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2015, 03:15 AM

Default 17 berger vs 30 gold ?

what is the difference between the 2 bullets ? the 30 gr Berger is the BT model which looks like the 30 Gold . what are the differences
Old 02-16-2015, 03:45 AM

Default 17 cal bullets

Mark,
Berger has made both a flat base and boat tail version of their 30gr bullet. I have had the best success with the flat base bullets, especially when shooting at transonic distances. You might want to try and find some of the flat base Berger or Nagel bullets. I purchased the last little bit of Berger BT inventory, about 7500 if I remember correctly, however I have not shot them at distance to see how they compare to the flat base. My guess is that the test will be a repeat of the test I did about ten years ago with the Berger flat base vs. the BT Golds

EJ
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 AM

As far as performance on Coyotes, I would compare the 30gr Berger more to the 30gr Nagel, at least the Berger Match, not the new MEF's. Larry
Old 02-16-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Junkie View Post
Mark,
Berger has made both a flat base and boat tail version of their 30gr bullet. I have had the best success with the flat base bullets, especially when shooting at transonic distances. You might want to try and find some of the flat base Berger or Nagel bullets. I purchased the last little bit of Berger BT inventory, about 7500 if I remember correctly, however I have not shot them at distance to see how they compare to the flat base. My guess is that the test will be a repeat of the test I did about ten years ago with the Berger flat base vs. the BT Golds

EJ
EJ
are your test results public? if so where could I find them
thanks
kerry
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM

Default 30gr tests

Kerry,
I do not think that I posted the results of the 30gr LR test. PM me with your phone number and I can give you the skinny.

EJ
Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Junkie View Post
Mark,

EJ
I always liked the FB Varmint Match Grade Bergers a little better than the 30 Golds in a .17 Rem. The Golds shot really well in my 17 but the Bergs would shoot inside them consistently.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:01 AM

Always liked the b.t. Gold's for shooting coyotes past 300 yds.. I've done some of the same long range tests with the 30 bergers with flat base. the flat base don't fly as straight as the b.t.. I also have some of the berger 30 gr. Ltb. b.t. and they shoot just as good or almost as good as the Gold's..
Old 02-17-2015, 04:13 AM

Default LR Testing

Tim,
Please expatiate on your "long range" testing with the 17 caliber flat base and bt projectiles. In my long range testing (600 & 800 yards) I have had exactly the opposite findings as you indicate.

EJ
Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 AM

Well for starters the flat base didn't group as well as the boat-tails in two rifles and the third rifle they were pretty good but after 300 yds. the flat base went down hill. (groups opened up) M.V. was at 3900-4000 fps.
I think I have a few boxes of the flat base I would gladly trade for 30 gr. wood chuck Golds.. Even in another test using the Berger 30 gr. Ltb bullets they still grouped better than the flat base in my rifles.

What kind of groups were you getting at 300-400 yds and also 800 yds.??? (with flat base bullets)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 AM

This disccusion is a bit theoretical right?
I mean Berger makes a 25gr pill and that is it.