Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 caliber version of the 17 VHA?

I was wondering if anybody had done a 20 caliber version of the 17 VHA or just necked up the 4.6X30 Cartridge or the 5.7X28 cartridge? I've had less luck with the 5.7X28 brass I've bought on line Then the brass used for the 4.6X30. I do the 17 VHA which seems to last a good long time using the 4.6X30 brass and was wondering if anybody had necked it up to 20 caliber and if so what was the name for this wildcat? I've read that there is a 5mm Shrike but don't know anything about it.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 PM

When I was playing with the 17 VHA, the thought of necking one up to 20 cal did cross my mind, but then I went with the 20 Vt and a 17 Fire ball instead and believe it has worked out much better.
In fact I sold off all my 17 VHA barrel, loading dies and brass and am just sticking with the others. Although I did open the VT to the SCC version, and did add a 17 Hornet to the fold.
I do believe a 20 VHA would be a nice little round, if a fellow wants to go that route. Bill K ( ## I always used the 4.6x30 brass however)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
When I was playing with the 17 VHA, the thought of necking one up to 20 cal did cross my mind, but then I went with the 20 Vt and a 17 Fire ball instead and believe it has worked out much better.
In fact I sold off all my 17 VHA barrel, loading dies and brass and am just sticking with the others. Although I did open the VT to the SCC version, and did add a 17 Hornet to the fold.
I do believe a 20 VHA would be a nice little round, if a fellow wants to go that route. Bill K ( ## I always used the 4.6x30 brass however)
The funny side of the brass is I can get tons of the 5.7X28 cases since it looks like a lot of people don't want to reload it. I really like the 17 VHA and I also have a 17 fireball but don't really have to shoot at a distance where the fireball would be necessary so I just shoot it every now and then.

The reason I asked about the 5mm Shrike is I wondered if anybody here had it and was it of any value as a small cartridge case round. I have no idea if there are dies or a chamber reamers for it but was just scratching the surface to see if it might have some value.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 08-26-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I don't have a 17vha but do have it's predecessor the 17 velociraptor and use both 5.7 and 4.6 brass in it. I think the problem with a 20vha would be the construction of the .204 bullets are made for faster velocities than the vha can achieve.
it would be like shooting sierra 40 gr .224 bullets in a 22 hornet, just a hole puncher. even the 221 fb can't launch the 40 gr hp fast enough to get reliable expansion.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
I don't have a 17vha but do have it's predecessor the 17 velociraptor and use both 5.7 and 4.6 brass in it. I think the problem with a 20vha would be the construction of the .204 bullets are made for faster velocities than the vha can achieve.
it would be like shooting sierra 40 gr .224 bullets in a 22 hornet, just a hole puncher. even the 221 fb can't launch the 40 gr hp fast enough to get reliable expansion.
That something that I didn't even think about. I guess it's best I stay in the .22 range or switch over to one of my old single shot rifles. I know that the 5.7X28 has fair velocity out of a rifle barrel and figured a 20 caliber bullet would do as well but I guess the bullet designers are making the the twenties for varmint rifle velocities.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 PM

How would a .17VHA compare to a .17 WSM?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:17 AM

Default little OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
How would a .17VHA compare to a .17 WSM?
About 400 to as much as 500+ feet per second slower with the same weight and same actual bullet in my experience. My 18.75" 17VHA gets up to 3800fps with a 17gr Vmax and 2900fps with a 30gr Kindler Gold bthp. The 17WSM is a great little round, but it has a limitation that it typically only comes in factory chambered and barreled rifles, so you are kind of at the mercy of the luck of the draw. Likely you will get a rifle that shoots under an inch at 100, but I doubt it will consistently connect with a coke can at 480 yds as often as a carefully loaded 17VHA in a custom chamber. It is like comparing apples to oranges, both have their advantages. Prairie dogs or other varmints by the hundreds being your probable targets, I would easily go for the 17WSM, if a few coyotes or a bobcat were your target at under 100 then it really is still your choice as the 25gr HNDY VMAX and the 20gr Vmax are loaded in the 17WSM. If you want to sit at the reloading bench and have the patience the 17VHA is very rewarding as long as your fingers are able to reliably seat those tiny bullets. You will also be better off with an ultra accurate powder thrower and a ultra accurate scale that can read into the hundredths of a grain to get the ultimate accuracy potential. It is difficult, but rewarding. It is a lot different than 308 due to the scale. Treat your loading proceedure like an art and a 1/5th scaled 6.5mmXC with all the same attentions you would throw at a bench rest rig and the result will likely be a rifle capable of hitting things further away than the bullet will reliably expand on. This being said, a 480yd coke can is still going to explode as will a prairie dog if hit with the 20gr VMAX or even a 17gr VMAX.

You can also push a solid fast enough to make it expand if it is the 17gr SP GSC or fully penetrate a wild boar from one side to another on a shoulder shot if you use the 24gr Reed Solid. I have never recovered any of those 24gr Solids, so sorry I don't have any to show you, they just kept going. Below are the 17grSP GSC on the left and the 17gr HNDY VMAX on the right. 17gr GSC SP shot at under 25yds into wet sand with almost 8 inches of penetration, and 17gr VMAX on water filled coke cans at 480yds recovered from sand backstop.

There is one advantage that the 17VHA has that a rimfire will never have, custom fit brass you can reload, and loads from 900fps to 3800fps. It really comes down to a few questions, how much time do you have on your hands and can you locate the brass for the 17VHA.

Here is a video of expansion characteristics for the 17WSM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wLmehLYXo

If you want to shoot something at 150 to 300 yards, get a 17hornet, skip the rim fire, the 17WSM's are inconsistent in velocity and shoot patterns compared to your center fire. Of course you could correct all the accuracy shortcomings with an aftermarket stock bedded in epoxy and an aftermarket barrel. If you do all this though you might as well build or better yet buy a 17VHA or CZ 17 HH from one of the forum members here. Personally I would take a CZ in 17HH if I had my choice to do it all again as it gives you all the advantages of Factory ammunition when you want it and still have the ability to hand load if you care to.

Last edited by 17tbs; 10-21-2021 at 12:19 AM.