Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Troy - what's this paper work you're talking about? I've never filled out any paper work. Are you a comercial deal? If a private citizen, I'm not aware of any paper work and have been buying bullets from the States for several years - no problem.
: Have them sent by mail if you con't want to be charged unnecessary brokerage fees.
: My bro just received some stuff form the sTates, an even though he asked for it to be sent by mail, they sent it UPS. UPS Canada got their mitts on the invoice and charged him 100% of the cost in brokerage fees, so it cost him double + inital exchange + taxes instead of just exchange + taxes.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default I am a little edgy about Blue Dot.

I tend to get my reduced loads from cast bullet information. I then have estimated velocity and PRESSURE readings at the suggested load. I have NEVER seen blue dot suggested as a powder for a cast load. Consequently I have no pressure information. I get good accuracy with H4227 in a lot of cases. Kenny
Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Kenny we all know blue dot loads are not reduced loads, reduced loads means reduced pressure. there have been a couple members on this board that have the scars to prove it, some serious blow ups have occurred with blue dot.
that warning given, most all the 17 caliber bullets will be fur friendly right up until they blow something up. wrong angle will create a peel, to much velocity will cause splash, and too slow can result in playing tonto and tracking down game.
if you are going to use any of the small ultra highspeed demons , practice your stitching technique.
that said the 25 gr Berger's always worked excellent for me on coyotes (3750+ fps) and fox (3000 fps).
Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Small amounts of powder in cartridges

The issue as I understand it with small amounts of powder in larger cartridges, like 7-8 grns of pistol powder in 17 Rem is this. When the cartridge lays flat, the powder is spreadout over the length of the case. When the primer ignites, it may not ignite all of the powder in the same manner it would in a cartridge that has adequate powder density. There is a theory that the powder ignition is inconsistent and then erupts suddenly and more violently(this is still in terms of microseconds, but anyway).

I don't believe it to be a good idea to go this route It can go fine for a number of rounds, then go real bad.

Some I know use a filler of some sort to guarantee that ignition from the primer is more conventional, but I think it's playing roulette. I think I would be spending a lot "tie it to a tire first" time before I trusted that process.

If I want a slower bullet such that I think I need to use pistol powder, I think I prefer to either going with a heavier bullet or smaller case, like a 17 AH or something.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Supporting Member

I believe the current “Lee Loading Manual” has a very good chapter or two on this subject. Basically they urge to select a powder which is very slow for the cartridge and using close to a case full of it to acquire the reduced pressure and velocity desired.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Genco bonded 17cal bullets

TroyG,

Chappie (Genco) is making bonded 17cal bullets. Thought you might be interested in this bullet for yotes.

Corbin
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 AM

Default I beleive the problem with

Blue-dot loads in a 17 is the pressure spike. 17s say a 17Ah will go from nice and friendly to flattening primers and blowing pockets in a few tenths of a grain. Try some slow powder to get the speed down and the case full. So far my experience has been, run the bullet fast and stay of the big bones. Shot placement is the key to good hides on foxes. I have seen a 22mag do so pretty nasty damage. Only damage this year was a quartering towards shot. I believe I caught a rib in the front and the bullet blew up under the hide (17AH) 20-vmax 40yards. Real pretty cherry female. Taxidermist said the hole was about 6 inches. Other 17Mach4 (20-vmax)running away stopped for another look 85yards on top of the hip. We saved the tail on that one. 1/2 in further foward would have slid into the guts and up into the vitals. Ihave some data in the Lee manual with either 4831 or 4350 that will get your 25grs down to under 3100fps if you want it.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 AM

If a hunter is calling in fox and coyotes in the southern states with a reduced load and the shots are close (under100) then i would think the reduced loads would be ok.. But up here in the Mid-west i have seen coyotes take a direct hit in the chest and run off like nothing happened. For my fox loads i use a 25 gr. hornady H.P. at a vel. of 3800. For coyotes i use the 30 gr. bullets Berger, Calhoon, Genco, and the golds, either one of these will get it done. I like to keep the vel for the 30's right around 3900. I have shot coyotes as far out as 556 yards, one hole going in nothing comeing out. I like to keep bullet placement in the chest, head, neck area and just behind the shoulder.
On another note: i have some 37 gr. VLD's, 3-4 boxes for sale or trade......
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up Corbin.

I managed to find 1000 Berger 30Gr BTMs and bought a box of the 25gr stuff to try out as well. Would be nice to find another 1000 or so.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Default 17cal bullets. Troy email me

Troy,

Email me with your phone number. I will call to disucss.

my email is

corbinshell@mindspring.com

Corbin