Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2023, 12:39 AM
Supporting Member

Default Cooper Model 21 bolt -firing pin help- replacement?

I have a very nice LH model 21 in 17 Mk1V that came with factory ammo, and I have some 17 FB reloads that chamber and shoot very well.

To cut to the chase, my misfiring model 21 has 0.047" stickout of the firing pin, and my RH 20 Vartarg has 0.072" stickout. The Factory ammo has a 50% discharge rate so far, shallow dents that look like a chambered round from an AR that you removed vs firing it. The last round chambered but not fired

I pulled the bolt apart and noticed the side of the pin is very black, so I am guessing it might be shorter than when it left the factory. I don't want to swap pins or take down my Vartarg as I am hoping to stretch both of their legs soon, so I would love to get the 17 in working order for the trip with it's correct handed sister M21. The left handed Grandson isn't as shooting of a nut as Grandpa, so he'll get reloads for future range trips once she's back on her feet 100%.

With the only option a lesson on how the back bolt screw might be adjustable, I suspect a call to Cooper's new owner might be my only salvation for skippy flight school for this nice Cooper, and the optional second choice is a Remington 17 FB.

It shoots good, but hey 2 Coopers beats a handful of Remington 700's even with Jewel triggers.....LOL

Thanks for any help

Allen