Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM

Question Anyone play w/ the 17-223AI?

After all this talk about dies, I started rethinking my die purchase for the 223AI. I just about ordered the custom set through Hornady, but realized I could get the Redding Bushing dies and get an extra bushing for 17-223AI. Am I correct in thinking that will work out? I have a Cooper VE in 17 Rem that I've been thinking about rechambering. Does anyone know of a "Small Caliber certified" gunsmith that has this reamer? All this talk of wildcats around here has got me thinking. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Supporting Member

Nathan I just spoke to Kevin Weaver about this design and he ordered a reamer from Dave Kiff for it. Here is a picture of the case as I designed it. It's no secret and is very close to the 17 Predator, l'm sure it has been done before, should work well with 30 grain bullets out of a 9 twist barrel.

Michael

Last edited by Mntngoat; 02-03-2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: duh...
Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Supporting Member

Default Kevin Weaver also has a 17-204 reamer.

He just chambered one for Gunhaus. I would like to have the specs on that reamer. Are you out there John? Kenny
Old 02-03-2007, 03:10 AM

Talking Thank Michael...

That falls into the "if looks could kill" category for me. I don't have anything against the 17rem, just looking for something "different". What exactly is different about the Predator? I've always followed these wildcat post w/ interest, but w/ all the new names I've gotten lost. Also, do you know what Kevin charges to do a rechamber job w/ his reamer? Thanks a million.

Edit.. I just found Kevin Weaver's web page. Looks like $130 to get the rechamber job.

Last edited by nathan; 02-03-2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: new information
Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Supporting Member

This basically the same as the Predator.I sent it to the Dan C who came up the Predator,and he mentioned it is very close. I did this for no other reason than to see if it could be done and I'm a sucker for the 40 degree Ackley shoulder.
I'm having this one made up as a single shot with a heavy barrel,and having a .17 Predator made up with a lighter contour barrel and repeater as a calling rifle. I'll be able to to post results in the coming months.

Michael
Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Predator..

I did a google on "17 predator" last night and came up w/ the article Dan did on building his Predator. Sounds like a real yote thumper. I was interested in the 17-223ai mainly to use the same bushing dies as I'm getting for my 223ai. Guess I'll have to shoot up all my 17rem loads this summer. I'm having a little feeding trouble w/ the sako feeding the 223ai, but it won't be an issue w/ the cooper. Thanks again for that cartridge drawing..Can't wait to see how yours turns out.