Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-18-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Got the Sako

Well guys; the Sako is on the way. I ordered dies, brass,etc. and a new scope. I can't wait. How long is 5 to 7 working days?
I want to thank you all for your input.
Mike
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Smile Almost forever!

Alex
Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 AM

At least 4 - 6 days to long !!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Neither....

Of the two, if that Sako has a sporter barrel I'd rather have the Remington. A Sako .17Rem. sporter weight barrel is very skinny and gets real hot after only 5 rounds. Either as a sporter or varmint weight, it would be much better as a MachIV. The .17Fireball is a more desireable cartridge, but $900 is a ridiculous price. I wouldn't buy either of them.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi Ackman; I got the Sako home and so far I'm happy. If it's accurate I'll be extremely happy. I might get to shoot it tomorrow.... we'll see. Skinny barrel? nope, just right! I got this rifle for coyote, fox, and bobcat if I'm lucky. I'm not worried about the barrel heating up as I don't intend to use it for PD's. In the Remington line the CDL was my first choice and the model 7 was my second. Model 7 would of been first if it had a longer barrel. I haven't weighed the Sako yet, I'll do that when I'm hiking in the snow.
17fireball more desireable? You may be right. If any coyote ever tells me he would prefer the fireball over the 17 Rem. I'll rebarrel immediately!
$900 is ridiculous, but you only go around once. Come to think about it I could have bought two Stevens, or maybe a Ruger an' a half.
Shoot safe and have fun
Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default Gabby,

I am with you. I have a used Sako on a brown truck somewhere in the midwest headed for my house also. Mine cost me two Winchesters lever actions. Just right. Kenny

Last edited by sicero; 02-04-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Those are awfully nice rifles. I have several guns built on the small action and they're a real pleasure to use. One just got rebarrelled, an AI sporter chambered in .17Rem.....a pretty gun that was light and handled really well. As a truck gun or walkaround and onesy-twosy shots it would've been fine. However the sporter barrel is very light and if your gun has one, you won't believe how fast that thing heats up. For predator hunting it shouldn't matter, but even if you get into some real good rabbit shooting you'll notice it. My preference for the MIV is because it doesn't need a heavy barrel to work well in target rich situations.

Even as a big Remington fan, it's hard to imagine spending $900 on a new one when there are used ones for so much less just waiting to be rebarrrelled.....or Coopers for about that same amount.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Good mornin' guys; Well I've just been reminded we made plans last week to go to the ice boat races today. Doesn't look like I'll get to test out the Sako today. Maybe Tuesday. Funny how a new rifle can subconsciously put other endeavours on the back burner.
Sicero; what caliber did you get?
Off to the races. Mike