Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Supporting Member

Default the addictive 17 Remington

I hope that I have not violated any copyright laws and will respectively remove this scanned photo if there is a problem with it but I did want to share it with all of you… I sure enjoyed reading it and it was a pretty long article…. It is also very true and a 14” 17 Rem what got me here in the first place! Darn addictions!!!

I have been going through piles of mags sorting and getting ready to give away (hopefully the local library can help me out). I use to get em but now only get just 2 magazines and one of them *American Rifleman* I am going to see if they can ship it to a military person or someone who might better enjoy it. Since my wife is a Wal-Mart maniac I usually go there or to a place where I can thumb through the mags and buy only the ones I am interested in.

That said I sure have enjoyed going through old Handloader Mags and will keep that pile. I see many articles that make me think of Br Bubba, and then there are neat wildcat articles, making dies and reloading benches to all kinds of things that are interesting to me!

I am now rethinking that I might need to anny up on my subscriptions again???? geez!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Default 17 remington

Gary,

I agree it is addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a new Rem 700 on a trade recently and I plan on smoking the barrel just as quick as I can. (Will not take me long). Planning on shooting it in its factory configuration out to 600 yards and maybe 800 yards depending on how it shoots. Will then compare it to my custom rig. Should be interesting.

I measured the twist of the factory 700 rem and I keep coming up with 1-9.5". I know the data says they are 9 twist but I keep getting 9.5" twist. Will be interesting to see how the 30gr bullets do at distance. Took off the iron sights. Rem did a poor job of drilling and tapping straight. The front sight was really cocked to one side.

Corbin
Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Supporting Member

Cool, I am very interested in your results Corbin. You may have read once where I posted that my factory 1-9 twist would get great velocity with the 30Gs but not the accuracy. TK told me once for his 30 Gs to shoot good at that velocity it needs an exact 1-9, nothing more nothing less....

Too bad about the quality of workmanship on the remy... Hopefully America will get back to quality craftsmanship and be proud of every thing we send out the door instead of oh that'll do attitude! Kinda like ole Kevin Weaver, a true skilled craftsman!

No disrespect intended but for the life of me I can no figure out why the 17 rem seems to have the 20 gr bullet offering as its main factory loading… It is very nice and actually the 20 gr V-Max from my 14” contender barrel is and was what got me hooked on small calibers but man I’d think if I worked at Remington I’d been taking a product I had out and try to improve it to its full potential. The newer 25 gr V-max is awesome in it and although I have very little experience with the heavier than 25 gr 17s I can’t help but think them 30s are just what a guy should be shooting from that cases??? Oh well that is why I am just a wanna-be day dreamer…

Please keep the comparison info coming! I can see myself one day having a custom 17 rem or 17 rem improved or possibly a 17 Pred/17-204??? I just have to figure out if the $$ is coming from the lottery or where???
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM

As an aside, that article was also reprinted in the "Varmint and Small Game rifles and Cartridges" book by Wolfe Publishing. Lots of interesting articles from the Hornet to the Swift, but I think the 17Rem is the only 'subcaliber' in it. The article was originally published in 1974. I think the Factory loading for the 17 Rem was originally the Remington 25gr HP, not a 20gr bullet, but I may be wrong.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Supporting Member

U-R right Tinman on both the 25 gr bullets and the year, this was a March April 1974 issue. Back then it was only the 25 Rem, 25 Hornady and also an interesting 25 gr SP Barnes (Colorado Custom) that had the highest BC of .220 and I think it was said made from copper tubing. It was the toughest bullet of all.

There have been several other sub cals mentioned in the last 30 some years of Handloader Mags I have been going through all of which are very well written.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Corbin - did you manage to pick up some 25gr. Vmax? I'd send you some but my only present source is from your country.
: I am interested in how they hold up at long range. I've only tested them to 300 yards from the AH, certainly not long range. I hope to extend that to 400 or 500 this spring (late May).
: Dan's BC check put them at .230, Hornady says .235 - pretty close. I'd expect them to outperform 30gr. Bergers due ot the same or better BC and higher velocity.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 AM

Default 17 Remy

Daryl,

I do not have any 25gr V-Max's but would like to test them vs other bullets. That would be a good comparision vs 25gr Bergers or the 30gr BF/BT's if they will stabilize in the 9.5 twist. I plan on shooting the 30gr BT's at 600 yards if I can get them to satilize in this box stock remington.

Corbin
corbinshell@mindspring.com