Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Supporting Member

I wish I could go during the week but the range I have access to is only open once or twice a month on the weekend. The big range is just too far for me to drive these days. When I get involved with AK's, AR's and big bore bolt actions with those special brakes for cutting recoil they don't seem to really bother me -- for some reason I get mesmerized while sighting in on the target and completely have no idea what's going on around me except one time. Seems this one fellow next to me had an AR carbine that he decided to rest the muzzle brake right on the little leather sand filled bad on top of the rifle rest and blew the bag open and proceeded to blow the bag apart and send sand everywhere. I nicely asked if he could move the brake a bit further forward so I was not being hit in the face with the debris and he did. I used to think I had a special trait but I've come to believe I'm a knuckle dragging mouth breather and can't really focus on more than one thing at a time -- but it seems to help.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM

It's a pain to have to take all my stuff waaaay over to the far left bench of the public range but usually it's vacant or at least the people down there are seeking the same thing I am, which is for the most part working up a load, not the master blasters pretending to be Rambo.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:54 PM

I always hated it when i was the only one at the range and someone came in and set up just 1 or 2 tables away when theres 20 available... like i need a friend or something. I didn't renew my gun club membership this year and I'm not really missing it.

I used to live 3 miles from it, since I moved now it's about 8 miles away but I can drive 2 miles and shoot in the desert now. No muzzle brakes, no one setting up next to me, no semi autos blasting away etc.. My only sacrifice is no covered concrete bench to shoot from.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 PM

Default courtesy

You have to take the lead with some people who have never been trained to be courteous, or you may be dealing with a first time shooter who has never been hit in the face with HOT brass. Some Communication most times, will go a long way. I would have called to the range master and asked to arrange seats better. Stand up smile and say how about you sit there, I'll sit here and this cat can sit there, than we won't be hitting anyone with brass. Or say hey lets switch places your hot brass is hitting me, hopefully you will hear; oh man I'm sorry ya lets switch. The RANGE MASTER should help with this. And sometimes people are just duchebags and you can't fix stupid. Fortunately most people respond well to some communication. sgtg
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Supporting Member

I cringe everytime i set up the chrono and someone wants to shoot through it. I tell them if they shoot the rails I get their rifle.

ML
Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks for your comments so far. I am going to drive up to the range this week and just talk with the range master about options. I do not think that I can tolerate another session like last Saturday. It takes what should be a positive, fun, and productive experience and makes it very unpleasant and unproductive. This range (up by Park City, Utah) is sponsored by the Police and is used for Police training, so I fully expect AR type weapons, but I do not feel that I should be showered with brass. It also has some targets up the mountain at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards, so I expect the big caliber weapons as well. I just do not expect them to literally blow me off of my bench while shooting. Sure seems like there is a way that all of us can use the range without making it a regrettable experience for others.
Burt
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Default Muzzle Brakes

At our range, there are 3-4 barrels mounted on a moveable frame. They are bench height. They do not have ends and are filled with egg crate foam. Range rules are that rifles with brakes have to be fired with the muzzle inside the barrels. They solve a lot of the previous complaints. BTW, the foam really takes a pounding and must be replaced regularly. Graphic example of the misery that thes brakes can cause if not shielded.

...David
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM

That sounds like a tough time at the range.... You were literally taking it from all sides. Lots of good suggestions here to try to make things nicer and your post literally made me think a bit. I have only been to an actual range 4 or 5 times and it was mainly because there is one close to work and I had an itch to shoot a pistol during lunch time. I was amazed at the percussion from the shooters on each side of me but it didn't bother me as I was just blasting rounds. I'm not sure if I would have the patience to sit there and rifle shoot at a range like that but I guess if it was my only choice that was convenient I would do it. Can't imagine someone pelting another person with brass and not knowing they were doing it and not correcting it. I have brass catchers for my AR's that I use when prairie doggin and they should require those at the range in my opinion.

While I can't shoot at my house I do have multiple options within 10 miles where we shoot. And I am fortunate that one of the locations has 1000 yards. I guess I just forget sometimes how lucky I am to have places like this to shoot.

Good luck with that nice little Cooper HH.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Supporting Member

In competition muzzle brakes should be in a class together. So they can all enjoy their rifles.
On a range day, i don't know if a bench or two could be designated for brakes. Clear to the other end. I know my ears would appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye View Post
Good luck with that nice little Cooper HH.
A Cooper would be nice. This is a Savage mod. 25. Couldn't wait for the CZ.
Burt

Tags
etiquette, manners, range