Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2023, 03:02 PM

A very long time ago I worked for KDF. (late 80's) We test fired all guns we installed muzzle brakes on. Some barrels, usually lighter ones would experience small group shift, but not 7 inches.

We tested other makers brakes. All worked, some better than others. Avoid those with holes pointing backwards. They reduce recoil the most but are hazardous to shoot.

The problems seen on others makers brakes were threads not concentric with bore and or exterior.

Trying to stay just short of exposing "trade secrets" our muzzle brake threads, bores and exteriors were made so all were concentric. We promoted that.

We also had a specific set of piloted reamers for specific calibers.

When we sold licensing to sell and install our Muzzle brake we included all the necessary tooling. One of the last step of installing our muzzle brakes was to check alignment with a range rod.

My first day working for KDF I had to fill in for the Range guy who was on vacation. In the rack for testing was 15-20 Weatherby rifles in 300 Weatherby Magnum. These guns had to be test fired before being sent back to Weatherby.

If you have ever fired a .300 Weatherby Mag you know it can be brutal on both ends. Imagine firing 3 rounds from each of 15 or 20 in one sitting. I got all that shooting down by noon and was convinced muzzle brakes work.

We also learned that muzzle brakes are not louder. The Muzzle brake redirects the sound to the side instead of down range. Sound measurements taken from the front without a muzzle brake were about the same as measurements take from the side with a muzzle brake.

If you have a muzzle brake and are shooting on a range, move away from people and warn them.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
A very long time ago I worked for KDF. (late 80's) We test fired all guns we installed muzzle brakes on. Some barrels, usually lighter ones would experience small group shift, but not 7 inches.

We tested other makers brakes. All worked, some better than others. Avoid those with holes pointing backwards. They reduce recoil the most but are hazardous to shoot.

The problems seen on others makers brakes were threads not concentric with bore and or exterior.

Trying to stay just short of exposing "trade secrets" our muzzle brake threads, bores and exteriors were made so all were concentric. We promoted that.

We also had a specific set of piloted reamers for specific calibers.

When we sold licensing to sell and install our Muzzle brake we included all the necessary tooling. One of the last step of installing our muzzle brakes was to check alignment with a range rod.

My first day working for KDF I had to fill in for the Range guy who was on vacation. In the rack for testing was 15-20 Weatherby rifles in 300 Weatherby Magnum. These guns had to be test fired before being sent back to Weatherby.

If you have ever fired a .300 Weatherby Mag you know it can be brutal on both ends. Imagine firing 3 rounds from each of 15 or 20 in one sitting. I got all that shooting down by noon and was convinced muzzle brakes work.

We also learned that muzzle brakes are not louder. The Muzzle brake redirects the sound to the side instead of down range. Sound measurements taken from the front without a muzzle brake were about the same as measurements take from the side with a muzzle brake.

If you have a muzzle brake and are shooting on a range, move away from people and warn them.
Thanks for the info !

After pushing a cleaning rod through the bore, it appears there is plenty of clearance , for a bullet to pass, without making contact.
As for the noise level, It didn't seem much different from the shooters point, but yes, my son complained right away, as he was nearby.

Waiting now for better weather, to get back to the range.

Jim
Old 03-20-2023, 12:50 PM

A part of that trade secret was the specific diameter of the bore of the muzzle brake. To much clearance and accuracy was affected. We had specific reamer diameter for each caliber.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
A part of that trade secret was the specific diameter of the bore of the muzzle brake. To much clearance and accuracy was affected. We had specific reamer diameter for each caliber.
as for clearance on the hole on brakes/silencers, is not .002 to .004 used, by most makers ?
Old 03-20-2023, 05:10 PM

Anytime you put anything on the end of a barrel its gonna change POI. In my experience it depends on the weight of the brake- suppressor vrs dia. of conture.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:47 PM

Don't recall specific numbers, it was 1989 or so when I worked there. We had a dedicated piloted reamer set that came with the installation kit. I knew the numbers at the time, but don't recall 35 years later.

We didn't do any definitive POI work but was aware that it changed POI usually very slightly, but not 7 inches. I would agree that weight is a factor as well as length of brake. I would expect substantial shift from a suppressor. Barrel harmonics of course.

Our brakes were sold to be close to muzzle diameter as possible, only slightly larger. On new barrel installs we polished brake and barrel together and it was difficult to see the joint. When we installed the brake on the customers barrel we turned down-tapered the back of the brake to blend it closer to barrel diameter.

The best brake gun combination I ever had was was Rugger 77 22-250 Varmint gun with a brake. That gun would hardly move when fired. You could always see the impact of bullet in the scope---light behind the target and you could see the red mist effect vividly. I no longer have that gun. Last I saw of it it it was in Virginia.

Sounds like I champion muzzle brakes. Not really. I only have one gun with true muzzle Brake. A KDF K15 in .308 Norma Mag that I got as a sales incentive. Amazing gun. Very accurate. Killed a bunch of game with it.

I do have several AR platforms with flash suppressor/brakes. I have assembled two HB AR's one a .223 and one a 6.8 SPC and purpose built without muzzle brakes. Still not a fan of AR's.

I also shoot a number of large caliber rifle .45 and larger mostly larger British cartridges. (bigger than 45/70) Largest being a .577 2-3/4" NE using 750 grain Barnes X bullets. Recoil is robust, but doesn't need a break. Also don't shoot this gun sitting at a bench over sand bags either. Standing over crossed sticks only.

Brakes have a purpose. I have one brake left rolling around in my toolbox. If I ever build another heavy .223 CF rifle for varmint shooting I will put it on. I need to be able see my misses so I can adjust. At 75 I tend to miss more than I use to.

Last edited by Double D; 03-21-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:09 PM

They are useful in the precision rifle type matches, because as you say, it really helps to see the impact to make adjustments for the next shot. Sometimes early in the day you can see the impact marks on freshly painted steel, but later on if you can't see where they're landing then nobody is going to tell you.

I have one on a 223 WSSM and with light bullets there is basically zero recoil; the view through the scope can be spectacular.