Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-11-2023, 01:38 PM

Default Question for Oehler 35 P chronograph users.

I have a quick question for Oehler 35 P chronograph users. Can you please tell me what the highest velocity's you’ve been able to consistently read with it? Could you also tell me what caliber bullets you were getting those readings on and if you were reading naked, coated or blackened bullets?

I thank you very much for any information you can share on the high speed readings.

Wish you the best of luck on your upcoming shoot,

Carl C.
Extreme Accuracy
Old 02-11-2023, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

I have been able to consistently read approx 4150fps on mine shooting both 32 and 40 grain 20cal bullets that are danzac (tungsten disulphide) coated. Only done this a couple times as the loads were a bit hotter than I wanted to load for PD trips.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:57 PM

Default I have gotten...

4403 FPS while I was working on a ladder test.This was with the old 33 grain VMax in 20 caliber.I have also recorded 4100-4200 FPS regularly with my 20 Dasher.All naked bullets,but I have used a sharpie on some 17s in very bright sun.Currently I’m using the Magneto V3 so I don’t have to go down range amongst the M4 shooters

Matt
Old 02-11-2023, 05:00 PM

It has been a while but I tried some 36gr barnes varmint grenades (.224") at around 4300. You can check the manual, but if you're actually maxxing it out you could just set the screens further apart and do some math. I think the standard is 4 foot spacing, so for example you could set them at 6 feet and adjust the reported speeds. The manual also describes this iirc, and there are some little switches you could fiddle with too.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:53 AM

4000 fps 17 Tac 30 gold
Old 02-19-2023, 04:53 AM

We have clocked naked Hornady 25 grain HP bullets at north of 4,200 fps
Old 03-06-2023, 01:49 AM

Default Wow stepping back to the past put me ahead in the future.

One of the members on here sold me his old Oehler 35P to try shooting over.
I had very limited time between rain storms here to get some testing in but so far up to 4825 fps and it read every round. I may need to move the spacing out further as I ramp the speed up but I can't tell you how GREAT it was to read bullet speeds instead of trouble shooting chronograph issues all day.

I'll keep you posted on how it does as I step the 14's up over the 5000 fps range.

So far I'm very impressed with the old instead of the new.

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy
Old 03-06-2023, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

You know, I have had at least 4 different chronos over the years but keep coming back to the 35P. Mine is in a Square Peg kit if anybody knows what that is, but it makes storage and setup a breeze. Never found a velocity that it wouldn't read consistently if set up correctly. I like it so well that I bought a used one last year in case I ever need any spare parts and just put new print heads in both.
The one thing I would like to know from other 35P owners is what is the best paper to use, know not to use thermal. Thanks
Old 03-16-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Accuracy View Post
One of the members on here sold me his old Oehler 35P to try shooting over.
I had very limited time between rain storms here to get some testing in but so far up to 4825 fps and it read every round. I may need to move the spacing out further as I ramp the speed up but I can't tell you how GREAT it was to read bullet speeds instead of trouble shooting chronograph issues all day.

I'll keep you posted on how it does as I step the 14's up over the 5000 fps range.

So far I'm very impressed with the old instead of the new.

Carl C.

Extreme Accuracy
We have a couple 35Ps and a 33. They work when nothing else does. The only problem we have is that there are overhead baffles at out range they need to be out in front of. Word on the street is these work very well for artificial light with them.