Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 PM

OK Chuck. I guess I'm not following what your talking about when you say I need to use a mandrel to true the neck after sizing? In the last step using the 0.226 bushing I have the inside neck button which measures 0.202 in the die. The Forster neck pilot is also 0.202. So what am I missing?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:10 AM
Supporting Member

Default button

Trying to put something that is .202 in a .202 hole is going to be problematic . Not sure what system your attempting to turn with. Ever notice when pulling an expanding button on a die some are easy some hard? Also expanding buttons don't straighten necks either. On the K&M Setup you use a sizing mandrel to open the neck and straighten it to fit the pilot after sizing.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 AM

I'm using a Redding S die with the 0.202 expanding button and yes some of the brass pulls WAY harder then the others. The neck turning set up is a standard Forster turning tool with a 0.202. neck pilot. I also understand it's pretty hard to stuff a pilot in a hole that is the same size. So I'm guessing I need to look at this K&M set up if I'm going to get the necks on this brass to be of some consistent and uniformed size. I keep thinking I'll get this figured out, but right now I know I'm sure frustrated with how it's going.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Supporting Member

Default link

Here is a link to their site. You buy the expanding iron(press adapter) and then the appropriate mandrel for the caliber your reloading. They're not much, tapered and longer than a typical expanding button. I've used these also for forming cases where I'm expanding the neck, pretty handy.

http://kmshooting.com/case-neck-expa...-mandrels.html
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 PM

G'day from down under 2skeet.

I use Win .222 brass to form my .20-222 cases. My chamber neck is .232 and I use a .226 bush in the S-type FLS die without neck turning or reaming, and accuracy is excellent.

Where my case forming might differ from yours is that I anneal the necks first, and I neck down in two steps; using a standard .224 neck die with the expander button removed will take you down part way, then the S-type die with the .226 bush.

My annealing set up is nothing fancy - the correct sized socket that a case can slip into is held in the chuck of a cordless drill, and the neck is then rotated in the point of a flame from a hand-held hobby butane torch that is sitting on the bench.

Good luck.

Marcus
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM

First off. Thanks Chuck, Marcus. Right now I'm going to let all this sit until I rethink this matter. Again if I'm flustered and if I try to plow through this I won't see my mistakes and still have the same problem. I know this should be a simple procedure and I want to make it work as easy as I can. So I need to back off and come back with fresh eyes. I think a foot of snow on the ground with no place to go would be the motivation I would need. Again Thanks for your advice and knowledge.