Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
My problem is I don't have any 17FB dies, just 17MIV. So, it isn't adjustment, it is which die is going to work the brass the least that is necessary to achieve enough to make the cases just barely fit.

Happy NEW YEAR guys.
Actually any sizing die can do that. It is all in how you adjust it. Most advise, in their instructions, to have the size die touch the shell holder, then back it off at least 1/4 turn and work from there to have the case offer pressure on closing
the bolt.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Different dimensions..

According to these diagrams, the 17FB is slightly larger in dimensions at the shoulder and the case body length.

I guess I can just use the 17MKIV dies, but its overworking the brass at the shoulder and is causing cases to stretch just ahead of the case web.

I was just trying to prevent this from happening.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:09 PM

Why not buy a FL sizing die for a FB then ?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:13 PM

Default choice of dies

I guess I was not clear enough then, I do want to purchase a FL die set. I jwant your input here to make the best choice by benefitting from your experiences.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

Spin your MKIV die up far enough you are only sizing the neck about 2/3s-3/4 of the way down the neck. No more overworking the case body and as long as the brass is used in the same gun it will work fine.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:25 PM

My Redding 17MIV set has a FS die, a bushing NS die and the seater.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
I guess I was not clear enough then, I do want to purchase a FL die set. I want your input here....
First off, the size of the rifles chamber is the wild card as to how much any die 'works' the brass.

My recommendation is for the Redding Type 'S' full length sizing die. These use a bushing to control how much you reduce the neck diameter...no more over sizing the neck like in a conventional full length die, then jerking it back larger as you pull the case neck off the mandrel when you size it. The less you work the case necks, especially on the .17's, the better off you are. Plus, there's no more lubing the inside of the necks with the bushing style die.

You'll need to precisely measure the neck diameter of one of your cases (with a seated bullet) to determine what bushing(s) you'll need. Also, the dimension of the neck of a fired case is valuable to have...sometimes factory rifles have such big neck diameters that an intermediate bushing size is needed before the final bushing (to reduce runout).

For a seater, a conventional Redding seater works fine. If you're looking for a seater that's a step up, a Wilson inline seater and a small arbor press works great. Redding and others make a micrometer adjustable seater if you don't want to go the inline seater/arbor press route.

If you want to stay real basic, the bread and butter Redding two die set would be my recommendation.

In closing, based on experiences, my recommendation is:

(1) Redding #77204 (full length bushing die) & Wilson #BS17-RFB seater)
(2) Redding #36204 (full length bushing die & micrometer seater)
(3) Redding #80204 (conventional two die set-f.l. sizer & seater)

A quick check showed several of the online sources having these in stock as of today. Just sayin.....

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-05-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:46 AM

Smile Much appreciated

This was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:50 AM

Default Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Spin your MKIV die up far enough you are only sizing the neck about 2/3s-3/4 of the way down the neck. No more overworking the case body and as long as the brass is used in the same gun it will work fine.
This might work. Thanks, I will try it.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:57 AM

Why don't you lube the insides of the necks when you use a bushing style die? That is the first time I have heard that, but I like the sound of it

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
First off, the size of the rifles chamber is the wild card as to how much any die 'works' the brass.

My recommendation is for the Redding Type 'S' full length sizing die. These use a bushing to control how much you reduce the neck diameter...no more over sizing the neck like in a conventional full length die, then jerking it back larger as you pull the case neck off the mandrel when you size it. The less you work the case necks, especially on the .17's, the better off you are. Plus, there's no more lubing the inside of the necks with the bushing style die.

You'll need to precisely measure the neck diameter of one of your cases (with a seated bullet) to determine what bushing(s) you'll need. Also, the dimension of the neck of a fired case is valuable to have...sometimes factory rifles have such big neck diameters that an intermediate bushing size is needed before the final bushing (to reduce runout).

For a seater, a conventional Redding seater works fine. If you're looking for a seater that's a step up, a Wilson inline seater and a small arbor press works great. Redding and others make a micrometer adjustable seater if you don't want to go the inline seater/arbor press route.

If you want to stay real basic, the bread and butter Redding two die set would be my recommendation.

In closing, based on experiences, my recommendation is:

(1) Redding #77204 (full length bushing die) & Wilson #BS17-RFB seater)
(2) Redding #36204 (full length bushing die & micrometer seater)
(3) Redding #80204 (conventional two die set-f.l. sizer & seater)

A quick check showed several of the online sources having these in stock as of today. Just sayin.....

Good shootin'. -Al

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Tags
17fireball, case reforming, dies