Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-20-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_3479 View Post
I can get past the head stamp thing. 17 rem brass is the same price as Lapua 222 and 223 brass so don’t mind going the extra step on necking down.
If brass cost the same, heck even if it didn't cost the same, it'd be a no brainer for me and I'd take the option the allows me to use Lapua brass every time.

I'm partial to the 17-222 just because I think it's a better bore to case capacity ratio and I'd be ok giving up a little velocity for less frequent cleanings but if you're chasing velocity the 17-223 is your huckleberry.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If you're after performance/velocity then you'll be far better off going 17-223 and necking down Lapua 223 brass as it is much, much better quality than any brass Remington has ever made and that's coming from someone who is a very big Remington fan but their brass is just mediocre at best and not even close to Lapua quality. Lapua brass is not only very uniform and consistent but it's tough as hell and will stand a lot of abuse before it gives up the primer pockets so you'll be able to stand on the gas considerably harder with a 17-223 and still get many reloads from the brass. If you start stretching primer pockets in Lapua brass you're definitely wayyyyyy past redline!

I'd get a 223 neck bushing only die so you can neck your brass down in a couple steps without FL sizing them every time. Also get a 223 body die or 223 FL die so when it's time to bump the shoulder back you can do so.

If you've never used a bushing die it won't size down the entire length of the neck. There will be a portion at the base of the neck that doesn't get sized down but don't worry about it. They're actually finding that having that unsized portion at the base of the neck is a good thing because it helps align the case in the throat.
Thank you for the info. I’ve never neck up or down before always had head stamped brass. So how many steps is it to neck 223 or 204 to 17? I’d assumed 1 step forward 20 to 17 and 2 steps to 224 to 177?

With the bushing die not sizing the entire length of the neck would that not cause chambering issues? Seeing as I’ve never done this before it is totally foreign territory to me but it seems as it wouldn’t allow the round to sit properly causing potential issues with bolt not locking up?
Old 04-21-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If brass cost the same, heck even if it didn't cost the same, it'd be a no brainer for me and I'd take the option the allows me to use Lapua brass every time.

I'm partial to the 17-222 just because I think it's a better bore to case capacity ratio and I'd be ok giving up a little velocity for less frequent cleanings but if you're chasing velocity the 17-223 is your huckleberry.
I initially thought this might be the way to go. I do not have prairie dogs or ground hogs in my area so this rifle would be 99% of the time for crows and coyotes hence why I was thinking the additional velocity. My main purpose coyote rifle is being finished up now in a 20 tactical so this would basically be a back up/just another toy. What kind of speeds do the 17-222 produce? I am partial to Lapua brass hence the reason I was thinking the 17-222 or the 17-223. The 204 only crossed my mind as I don’t own a fun chambered in that so head stamps wouldn’t be mixed
Old 04-23-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What kind of speeds do the 17-222 produce? I am partial to Lapua brass hence the reason I was thinking the 17-222 or the 17-223.
I have a Sako L461 chambered in .17-222 and using Lapua brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers, ADI BM 1 powder and 20gn zmax/vmax projectiles my load easily reaches 4,100 fps over the chrony. Shoots flatter out to 250m than my .20-222 shooting 32gn zmax/vmax, or the .22-250 shooting 50gn zmax/vmax.

All three are good medicine for red foxes here in Australia.

Marcus
Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I’ve never neck up or down before always had head stamped brass. So how many steps is it to neck 223 or 204 to 17? I’d assumed 1 step forward 20 to 17 and 2 steps to 224 to 177?

With the bushing die not sizing the entire length of the neck would that not cause chambering issues? Seeing as I’ve never done this before it is totally foreign territory to me but it seems as it wouldn’t allow the round to sit properly causing potential issues with bolt not locking up?
Once you do the neck down, run the brass through the FL die of your new caliber. That is how I make 20 TAC and 20 VT brass with no issues.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's just a very small portion of the neck that doesn't get sized and they are finding that it actually can aid it centering it in the neck.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:51 PM

Any interest in a 17 hmr? I have a like new Volquartsen custom shop 17 hmr that I am about to put on the market.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoillug View Post
Any interest in a 17 hmr? I have a like new Volquartsen custom shop 17 hmr that I am about to put on the market.
Unfortunately looking for a centerfire. Thank you though
Old 04-28-2021, 01:30 AM

Default Prairie Dog's worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoillug View Post
That has to be a prairie dog's worst nightmare, and a load of fun to shoot.

Good luck on your sale.

Hal
Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I initially thought this might be the way to go. I do not have prairie dogs or ground hogs in my area so this rifle would be 99% of the time for crows and coyotes hence why I was thinking the additional velocity.
In that case, with the inclusion of coyotes, I'd be hard pressed to use anything but a .17Rem. I think a .204 might be even better for longer rang yotes.