Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-28-2022, 04:55 PM

Default Ignorant

So that rancher acts like most others. Rage decision screwing over the shooters that were providing a service, because of the actions of one dumbass. They will still drive up and down the highway. That solved nothing.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:15 PM

There is an entire coulee owned by an extended family that is closed to everyone except family because of of the latest dumbasses with AR & SKS rifles sending FMJ ricochets up and down the coulee.

I have a friend who can get me in there though. Your land, you make the rules and it’s nobody’s business what your motivation is. Period. Full stop.

I will never leave Tacoma again with anyone except one other person with a 10/22 or an AR15 in their possession.

But you have both! Yea, and I’m the guy who spent my entire life cultivating the relationships with people whose land we will be shooting on. I don’t care that you think it’s unfair. Shooting on other people’s property is a privilege, not a right or an entitlement and being invited to shoot on property anyone else has access to, likewise.

I ran one of the largest retail shooting and hunting counters in the region and can’t count how many people remarked to me that it is impossible to get access on private land. Yes it is, for some but not for others. My extended family ranches a lot of acreage in Montana, entire sections, and they impress me as pretty good judges of a person’s character. They allow some people who cold call and ask permission to hunt on their property and deny others and do a good job of identifying and denying the riff raff access.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05-29-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWyo! View Post
So that rancher acts like most others. Rage decision screwing over the shooters that were providing a service, because of the actions of one dumbass. They will still drive up and down the highway. That solved nothing.
I own a ranch in Alberta and I can assure you sir that by coming on my land to shoot, you are NOT providing me with a service. It's people like you that get land posted!
Old 05-29-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserfool View Post
I own a ranch in Alberta and I can assure you sir that by coming on my land to shoot, you are NOT providing me with a service. It's people like you that get land posted!
I tell my kids often that they are privileged to have private property owners invite them to shoot and hunt on their property and that they had better not ever forget it. If not for the relationships their father had developed over the decades they would not have those privileges and if they do not appreciate what that means and act accordingly they will never step foot on that property again.

I have a friend whose mother hectored him to take his nephew along when we were meeting to shoot for a weekend. My friend Tom finally capitulated and brought the asshole. We were shooting grey diggers and sage rats in a vineyard and had told the moron no more than one shot per five seconds. Period. No exceptions.

Within the first fifteen minutes he emptied a ten round magazine from a 10/22. We were on a property Tom had gotten the access to. He would have never brought him on a property I had secured.

He sat in the truck the rest of the morning and when we moved to another property we Barney Fife’d his stupid ass. He got one single round of 22LR and no magazine. When he had shot that round he had to come to where Tom or I were and wait for another. Then send a text message sit and wait until felt like taking a break to him another round.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:42 PM

I'll give a shot at explaining what permission to hunt actually is, in language understandable for an urban dweller. I live in Casper, Wyoming. I win a truck load of beer. I have it in my basement but it takes up a lot of room, so it's inconvenient. But, I do like to drink beer. Sometimes, I invite guys to drink some of my beer, since I have a lot. My neighbour lets it slip that he EXPECTS to be invited to my place to drink beer, since I have so much beer. He explains he is providing me with a SERVICE by drinking it. I decide to stop inviting him and everyone he hangs around with over to my house to drink beer. I know lots of other guys that truly appreciate drinking beer at my place and sharing my beer with them is far more satisfying.
I have another neighbour that comes over to drink beer at my place, but he is a bit of a slob. He pees on the floor in the bathroom and parks his truck on my lawn instead of on the street. When I invite him over for a beer, he usually shows up with his buddies, who want some beer too. After I invite him over once, he expects he can come to my house for a beer whenever he wants. He shows up regularly, walks in my house and starts drinking my beer even when I have not invited him. He throws empty cans and bottles all over my yard and house. I decide to stop inviting him and everyone he hangs around with over to my house to drink beer. I know lots of other guys that treat me and my property with respect and sharing my beer with them is far more satisfying.

Last edited by Wiserfool; 05-29-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:15 PM

I was at the range and there was a ten year old kid there with his dad. Kid has been reading about varmint shooting and is fascinated by the fact that I had real varmint rifles he had only read about. Such a nice kid that I said to his dad that I would take the kid varmint shooting at a place I only let kids shoot at because the shots are not really long and there is a great back stop. I tell him I don’t shoot it myself because it is only for kids. I also tell him that it is considered in extremely bad form to go back to a place someone else has taken you to unless they invite you to go back with them.

Kid has a blast. I am at the range and friends of dear ol’ dad tell me all about where the four of them went to shoot chucks. Tell me about all the chucks the three of them shot with 223s at under a hundred yards. Didn’t know that the only reason he knew about it was because I had taken his son there.

So, two weeks later at the annual meeting I cornered the jackass in front of a half dozen people and told him what I thought of him. He told me he went and asked the property owner and he said it was fine. I then let him know that I would make it my personal mission to completely wipe out that entire colony. I also let him know there were no other colonies on that property and I would let every other member know what to expect from him.

Unfortunately this is what to expect from too many people these days. Had his dad not had to be Mr Bigshot with his buddies and a sense of entitlement a mile wide I would have taken the kid over shooting chucks again. As it is, I don’t really care who doesn’t have any “luck” getting permission to shoot. I don’t have any luck either, I put a lot of time, effort and miles on our truck every year locating new places and checking locations that were good in the past but haven’t been worth shooting for years or decades.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:23 PM

My preference on my property is not to get mad or get even, but just to have the bad actors never appear again. There is an endless supply of respectful people I can deal with instead.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserfool View Post
My preference on my property is not to get mad or get even, but just to have the bad actors never appear again. There is an endless supply of respectful people I can deal with instead.
Respectful people who put forth the effort seem to be universally welcomed and also universally resented by those who are stupid, disrespectful and lazy.

It is odd to me how so many individuals just don’t get it. I was shooting in central Washington with a friend spotting for me and two pickups roll up to us and we were at the base of a coulee wall on a rise a quarter mile onto clearly marked property shooting along the coulee wall. I tell them that the property owner might allow them to shoot on the property, but in the four decades I’ve known him he will only allow one group access at a time and we would be shooting the next three or four days on the property. Check with him prior to when you would like to shoot here. It isn’t my property and I cannot tell you it’s OK.

So we see them pull out onto the county road and head in the direction of the ranch HQ. I’m thinking nothing of it other than they will find no one home on Sunday morning because the family is at church. They pull up about a half mile down the road in a wide place and are parked there for a while.

Then I hear them shooting and wonder what in the tarnation is going on. I focus our spotting scope on them and they are in the bed of their trucks, resting the rifle bipods on the roof of their trucks shooting at barn pigeons or magpies on the far coulee wall. Between where they are parked and where they are shooting 350 - 500 yards away is a pen with 15 - 20 Santa Gertrudis bulls worth about $50K/copy or more in it AND the double wide mobile home the hired man’s family lives in.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix P600 to take photos of birds with my kids, but also take it along and had it sitting there on a tripod. It has something like 40x digital zoom and I videoed them… before going out and letting them know that I would be providing the video to the property owner as well as the sheriff’s office. They were parked on the north side of the gravel county road and shooting across the road at the south coulee wall.

These nitwits were all in their late 20s to maybe early 40s.

Another time I was in in Montana with friends shooting prairie dogs and the one guy I didn’t know personally who had been invited on the trip showed up with thousands of rounds of surplus ball 223 ammo. Between the wounding of prairie dogs and ricochets my buddy and I vamoosed ourselves from the party and the two of us went elsewhere. Like in another county entirely. According to one of the guys who remained with that group the guy also had a 308 along and was shooting steel core ammo at some steel targets sending ricochets back over his own head and into the location of others in the party.