Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-02-2018, 12:53 AM

Default 17-222

A number of months ago I came across an add for a custom Sako L461 sporting a Grade AA walnut stock chambered in 17-222. I never heard back from the seller. Apparently, he has rotated back from assignment and gave me a call. Unexpected turn of events...i'll go take a look at it for the price.

What are my concerns with 17-222? What type of barrel life ???

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 06-02-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:01 AM

Default 17-222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
A number of months ago I came across an add for a custom Sako L461 sporting a Grade AA walnut stock chambered in 17-222. I never heard back from the seller. Apparently, he has rotated back from assignment and gave me a call. Unexpected turn of events...i'll go take a look at it for the price.

What are my concerns with 17-222? What type of barrel life ???
I would not be concerned about much. FPS maybe a little faster than the 17 Fire Ball, and barrel life, unless you really overheat it, should give you upwards of 8000 rounds. Just keep the carbon down, maybe run a patch down the bore about every 50-100 rounds, while out shooting varmints. Bill K
Old 06-02-2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I would not be concerned about much. FPS maybe a little faster than the 17 Fire Ball, and barrel life, unless you really overheat it, should give you upwards of 8000 rounds. Just keep the carbon down, maybe run a patch down the bore about every 50-100 rounds, while out shooting varmints. Bill K
Bill,

As always thank you for the advice and smooth delivery! So...you're telling me that I should buy the rifle and enjoy sleeping on the couch for a couple of weeks?!

What's the recommended procedure for necking down. How many sizing reductions?

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 06-02-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:17 AM

Default 17-222

Quote:
Bill,

As always thank you for the advice and smooth delivery! So...you're telling me that I should buy the rifle and enjoy sleeping on the couch for a couple of weeks?!

If I did not have the 17HMR and recently built up a very nice 17 Fireball, then I would buy something like the one you are talking about.
As for sizing, I would run the 222 brass into a 20 cal bushing first, then the 20 cal necked 222 brass should finish into 17 cal neck, by just running it into the 17-222 fl die. As far as I know, you can buy a 222 R bushing die, with a couple proper size bushing and work it down that way. Trim to length, reload and fire form into the final 17-222 chamber. Maybe someone who has actually worked with one can add/chime in with info. Bill K
Old 06-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Its certainly one of the most beautifull cartridges I have ever seen.. dreaming about one since I first read about it, some 10 years ago.

But.. barrel life of 8000 rounds? What kind of accuracy do you expect?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Default 17-222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Its certainly one of the most beautifull cartridges I have ever seen.. dreaming about one since I first read about it, some 10 years ago.

But.. barrel life of 8000 rounds? What kind of accuracy do you expect?
I believe upwards of 8000 rounds is not out of line, if a person take some care of the bore and does not overheat it. The small calibers can have a very fine bore life.
Accuracy, with the right load, should hold around the 1/2 moa area, again the small calibers are pretty darn good a giving fine accuracy, after you work up a load for your rifle. Bill K
Old 06-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Bill,

If it were me I'd certainly wait till I had the rifle in hand before jumping in and ruining a bunch of brass, don't ask me how I know that part . After that I'd do as Bill said and size the neck down from .22 to .20 with the expander button removed from the .20 die. At that point I would set the .17 die out to far to fully size the neck then size the neck a little bit and try it in the chamber, on the first try it shouldn't fit (as in being able to close the bolt) if it does back the die out even more. I'd then screw the .17 die in just a little at a time making a false shoulder in the neck where it goes down from .20 to .17. Keep that up a little bit at a time till you have a false shoulder in the neck that allows a crush fit in the chamber. That means it takes some real push on the bolt handle to lock it into battery. What it doesn't mean is having to whack the bolt with a mallet or chunk of 2X4 .
After you have found the die seating depth that allows the bolt to be closed with a solid "crush fit" locking down your headspace on that false shoulder I'd make sure my die was square with the shell holder at that place and lock the locking ring on the die in place. Repeat that on the rest of the cases.
After setting the false shoulder I'd anneal the cases to avoid neck splits on the first firing, chamfer and deburr the case mouths etc. etc. Then work up your form die load.

I probably over complicated my explanation but I'm a terrible 2 finger typer so hopefully you get the idea .
Old 06-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Default I have a similar rifle.

Mine was built down in Trinidad at the gunsmith school and has a 10 twist barrel marked P.O. Ackley,the fella I bought it from said it wouldn’t shoot well with 30 grain bullets.
I loaded up some 25’s and Shazam it shot very well.I like the fact that you can get great brass for it and it is really capable of anything the 17Rem can do too.
I believe you will love the 17-222,hope you get it
Matt
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Only one thing I'd add to the neck down is to be sure to have the bolt lugs lubricated with some soft grease or oil to avoid galling the lugs or the race ways if you're gonna' use, ".....some real push on the bolt handle to lock it into battery".

Just a feeling of a slight crush fit/light resistance on the cartridge as the bolt is closed is all that is needed, and it isn't necessary or desirable to use considerably more extra effort to push the bolt closed. But I would still be sure to use some light grease or oil on the lugs anyway.

As for 8K rounds from the barrel............. Hmmmm........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-02-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Default 17/222

Hi Oso,
I have a Sako L461 in 17/222.
I run the brass thru a form die, then fls die.
I have Simplex brand 3 die set plus the form die, Simplex is Australian company
From Sydney, there dies resemble RCBS dies. I use Sako brass.
I trim to 1.70" .
My main loads are N133 x 18.7 gns. And Reloader 7 x 17.5 gns. For about 3750fps.
Great cartridge, good Fox cartridge.
All the Best, Jay