Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-09-2021, 06:47 PM

Default Might be crazy: Ruger 77/22 Hornet

I may be crazy, but I am thinking to look for a Ruger 77/22 Hornet to give another try. I have other Hornets.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Treated mine like a disease. Might work o.k. if you expand the neck then size to crush fit your chamber. But I got frustrated with an aftermarket product and got rid of the gun.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I may be crazy, but I am thinking to look for a Ruger 77/22 Hornet to give another try. I have other Hornets.
If you’re looking for an accurate 22H, then yes, you are crazy to look at a Ruger 77/22. I was crazy, twice.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:45 PM

I really like my 77/Hornet, it's not my most accurate rifle, my Bat MB in 6 PPC is, but I like the Ruger. It is nice to look at, fun to shoot and easy to carry.
The one shot one hole wonders of the internet who hate all things Ruger notwithstanding, I say go for it!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 05-09-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNeill View Post
I really like my 77/Hornet, it's not my most accurate rifle, my Bat MB in 6 PPC is, but I like the Ruger. It is nice to look at, fun to shoot and easy to carry.
The one shot one hole wonders of the internet who hate all things Ruger notwithstanding, I say go for it!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Agree, Minute of angle and lots of fun on small critters. You don't need one hole groups, even if they are nice for competition.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNeill View Post
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

+1. That has been my experience also.

I've owned several of them and all are/were good shooters and hunting rifles. I didn't buy any of them expecting one hole BR accuracy, and I only believe about 10% of what I read on the internet............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Send it to CT Precision and have them work their magic. Oh, have it K'd while your at it!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Send it to CT Precision and have them work their magic. Oh, have it K'd while your at it!
I have a 22K VHZ that CPC worked over and it's a close to a 1/2 MOA rifle.
I have two 77/22 Hornet rifles in sporter configuration. One is a solid MOA shooter, the other is problematic as it only shoots with reasonable accuracy with the 35 gr. Vmax and 2400. The 35 Vmax is a bullet of last resort in my opinion. I should try cast bullets in it to see if that shoots any better.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
Oh I like the idea of making it a K Hornet or Ackley Hornet a lot!

But, if you go that route I wouldn't do it with a factory barrel I'd spend a few extra bucks and order up a good custom barrel and do it right. With the exception of a very few, IMO, factory barrels are just to hit or miss to spend any amount of money taking a chance it'll work out well. I'd rather spend a little extra and take my chances with a good custom barrel. Your odds of success are much better that way.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 AM

I only had a chance to shoot one Ruger 77/22Hornet. It made barely under 1" groups with my LG loads and just over MOA with about everything else in powder.
Both of my CZ's shot under 3/8"" at 100 meters which allowed me to shoot gophers at up to 454yards (my longest distance kill).