Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2021, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default 17 tcm

i know someone has to have done this but a search did not find anything. seems like you would need to neck turn or work with a thick neck. has to be lots of potential here.
might have to go with a falling block or single shot such as a tc. i have not heard good things about the rock island rifle accuracy wise but i don't own one.

has anyone tinkered with the rock island rifle, the one i handled had a gritty bolt an dome creep in the trigger?
Old 08-10-2021, 06:24 PM
Supporting Member

Built a "20 TCM" on a Savage action. Feeding issues but working on that.
Works like a champ in a Remington XP 100 action like it was made for it.

17 TCM? Bullets a little small for me to mess with. Selling my Savage 17 VHA barrel just for that reason. (bullets too small)
Was working on a 20 VT "short" but didn't care for the final finished brass.
Stumbled on the 22 TCM, necked it down to 20 and havn't looked back.

Working with a thick neck? Necked down the 22 TCM to 20, stuffed a bullet in the neck for a dummy round, shipped it off and had a reamer cut to those specs. No neck turning.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:21 PM

Nor Cal - I stumbled upon a couple of cases at the range a week ago. This is first time I have seen this cartridge in person. assume you are using pistol powder for that case. What type of velocity are you getting?
Old 08-11-2021, 12:59 AM
Supporting Member

Bob that rifle is pretty poor quality. I don't know how to post any pictures but if you PM me your email ad I'll forward a bore scope picture of a barrel a friend just emailed me today. Plus I think the bolt handle stub is one of the bolt lugs. Kind of like a Model 43. I've done both a 17 and 20 version with 40* shoulders. Good strong case. Not sure if they're making brass or just plated brass cases now. The plated cases may be a problem.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:07 AM

you just confirmed what i observed when i got a good look at one in person.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:14 AM
Supporting Member

Actually, I've got the rig built but never got any range time.
Reamer, custom dies, couple of barrels and brass. Made some loads so if and when thev spirit moves me, I'am ready to go.
Loaned my reamer out to a guy that had more spirit than I did and here what he said.

"OK Mike, I promised you I'd keep you posted on my progress. Sorry this has taken so long, we're pretty busy over here this year. So here goes:
1) Uniform flash holes before sizing neck down.
2) Chamfer outside case mouth to prevent shoulder set-back die from bulging case mouth.
3) Put the .243 bushing in the shoulder set-back die to set die height and just kiss the shoulder on TCM brass.
4) Neck down to .224 using plenty of Imperial. You now have a .20 MGM.
5) Chamfer inside case mouth.
6) Lube inside of case mouth and run onto a .20 caliber neck expanding mandrel. I use a K&M.
7) Run cases through a .223 Small Base Die to ensure shoulder/body junction is correct. .364. (A lot of my brass wasn't and did not want to chamber.)
8) Prime with Rem. 51/2s.
9) Fire-form with 12g of Accurate 1680 which gives 2937fps over my Oehler 35 fired from a Ruger #1 with a Hart 9 twist barrel. 32g Varmageddon FBHP. YMMV

So far the only powders I have tried are 1680, H4198,Enforcer and CFE BLK. The two I like best currently are the CFE BLK and the 1680 although I got my best speed with the Enforcer (3200ish).
The 32g Varmageddon works well out of this cartridge, the large opening on the hollow-point seems to help with explosive expansion even at fire-forming velocities. I have eliminated several rock-chucks with this cartridge and none of them have complained (or crawled off). The ground squirrels don't stand a chance when hit any where with this bullet.
I plan to do much more testing with some other powders that I have and will up-date you accordingly. I feel like I might need to give Enforcer another try. I ruined a couple of cases trying to find a max load and to me it just seemed a little too quick to go over the edge. On the other hand 3200 would be nice.. Thanks for your help with this cartridge. Kevin."

And I'll add, I single feed and bench shoot so I never have problems with feeding issues. Did find that the "little short round" feeds like a dream in my XP 100 action, like it was made for it!!
My loaded ammo is just at 10 grains of AA 2200 + or - .5 grains just for starters.
This is better than me doing nothing on my end so hope the info helps, Mike.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 PM

I am pretty sure most hear will vomit with the suggestion, but I have converted a couple of .17HMR Handy Rifles into a .17HH and .17FB and they both shoot really well. I only wish that I had bought a few more of the .17HMR barrels before Remington destroyed H&R.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:19 PM

if it works, it works.