Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-19-2022, 05:31 PM

Default IPS PH-200 Soft Touch Plier

This is a fairly recent addition to my toolset that I use every day. They were fairly inexpensive and were purchased off Amazon and I really can’t speak to their durability because they are not used for much more than light duty application. Fit and finish does leave a bit to be desired, but this has never affected their functioning better than anything I have used up to the point I acquired them.

Unlike that crappy little adjustable wrench that sits beside them that I frequently have threatened to drop in the recycle bin, they have not left anything to be desired regarding their functionality. I don’t know where that little adjustable wrench showed up from, but there it sits and about 2/3 of the time I need to use it I find myself going to the garage and grabbing my little Blue Point adjustable wrench to use instead.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:34 AM

padding is soft rubbery or harder plastic? I have been using pieces of an old leather strop to wrap the object, had not thought of it before may have to adhere it to the plier. or simpler go order one
Old 03-20-2022, 12:50 PM

Its like nylon. It will indent with pressure, and gives, but rigid. If that makes any sense. I saw a guy working on a guitar with a similar plier many years ago and the memory remained and came back often when I needed to firmly grip but not mar some gun part.

Once I got them I often think: Why did it take me so long to get these? Really nice on knurled nuts, expander balls, with my blue bullet puller to get a cleaning jag or brush off a rod when it sticks, I had a parallel jaw Knipex sitting out forever that isn’t out now.

There were two sizes, I can’t remember if these were the larger or the smaller pair. First I had one in my cart, then the other, then both and after several days and iterations of that dance finally made up my mind on this one and these seem perfect.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:56 PM

I have 2 of the Hornady, surprised at how much gun/reloading bench items fit the Hornady wench. One small adjustable, set of small standard open/box wrench, fold in torx and standard/metric hex, one large open/box end that fits RCBS die nut. That's what I keep within reach of press area.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
Its like nylon. It will indent with pressure, and gives, but rigid. If that makes any sense. I saw a guy working on a guitar with a similar plier many years ago and the memory remained and came back often when I needed to firmly grip but not mar some gun part.

Once I got them I often think: Why did it take me so long to get these? Really nice on knurled nuts, expander balls, with my blue bullet puller to get a cleaning jag or brush off a rod when it sticks, I had a parallel jaw Knipex sitting out forever that isn’t out now.

There were two sizes, I can’t remember if these were the larger or the smaller pair. First I had one in my cart, then the other, then both and after several days and iterations of that dance finally made up my mind on this one and these seem perfect.
Fine you convinced me..... Amazon owes you... LOL
Old 03-20-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
I have 2 of the Hornady, surprised at how much gun/reloading bench items fit the Hornady wench. One small adjustable, set of small standard open/box wrench, fold in torx and standard/metric hex, one large open/box end that fits RCBS die nut. That's what I keep within reach of press area.

The Hornady wrench comes in handy and I have that one and another hanging on the back of our Lock n Load AP. Unless I use them in the CoAx press, all dies get Hornady Lock Rings. We also have an RCII, and a Pacific Super Deluxe.

I bet I have north of three dozen various sets of take off Lock rings here.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:49 PM

Hornady seaters and lock rings the best, sometimes I will buy a set if priced well just to get the seater and spare lock ring, by the way found a pair of slip on pads for a water pump plier trying that first
Old 03-25-2022, 04:17 PM

Ok did end up ordering the soft touch plier, And they are worth the money no more fumbling with the knurled nuts

Thank you JD
Old 03-25-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
Ok did end up ordering the soft touch plier, And they are worth the money no more fumbling with the knurled nuts

Thank you JD
I bet they end up getting used every day. I had a guy stop by for a knurled nut the other day, when he saw the pliers he ordered a pair too.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:49 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing this JD. I also bought a pair, they are a little smaller than I thought they would be but will work just fine for most of the uses I envision.