Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-08-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
Is the cartridge designation stamped across the chamber top......or along the left side of the chamber?

Thanks,
Kevin
Across the chamber top H&R with cal 17 Rem below it. My first barrel that I used up I think was stamped Ultra Wildcat on top, but can’t check. I gave it to a guy who cut off the chamber end and reused it. I think on a Martini. I remember him saying he cut it off shorter than he wanted and still had a bit of damage, but it shot like a house afire. These barrels taper down very quickly.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up In the last two years........

.......of the Model 317's production, 1975&76, Sako provided the entire barrelled action including a newly introduced round-top L461 receiver.
These barrelled actions have the cartridge designation stamped across the top of the barrel chamber.

Prior to 1975 the L461 actions were dove-tailed.......and the barrels were installed by H&R. I've not seen any documentation stating whose barrels H&R used........some say Douglas, Shilen, Ackley, or A&M. Cartridge designation was stamped on the left side of the barrel chamber.

TinMan........
Your rifle sounds a lot like this one of mine.......Shilen, Fajen, 17Rem.....

Kevin

And here's a 317P in 223
Old 07-08-2022, 12:42 PM

Very nice. I would like to have one with the fancy wood stock some day.

When I bought the barrels it was with the understanding they were Ackley produced barrels. Then at a later date I was told Douglas. IIRC, that info was from Paul Marquardt of A&M Rifle Company.

They shoot extremely well either way. I’ve run into people who over the years have flooded me with information regarding these little rifles and others very similar. One thing everyone comments on is how well they shoot.

It seems like there was a kind of club that formed in northern Arizona and southern Nevada that was positively queer for them.

My action has integral scope mounts. I had it sitting new in the box it came in and a friend in the firearms industry tipped me off that these barrels had been sold to Gun Parts Corp. were absolutely outstanding and I should buy some.

I had been using MPI stocks and liked them extremely well. What stock I was going to put it in was never a question. Rick Steinhour did the installation at that time and he did outstanding work. He still does a lot using MPI stocks he has on hand. In the interim they had a guy who I wouldn’t trust to work on a pogo stick who was doing installation and that really damaged their reputation. I haven’t seen any of their stocks that have been produced recently. What I can say is the older ones are light but extremely rigid and solid in the action area.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:09 PM

Kevin, looks just like that, but mine has a 24in barrel, whereas the 317P have 20in barrels as I recall. I also have an H&R M370 Ultra Medalist in 243 Win. The action is a FN Commercial Mauser 98, Douglas barrel and Fajen Aristocrat stock.