Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Oily chamber- Part II

Since there was some various opinion on the topic here recently I thought I'd do some additional research on the subject. What prompted my curiosity was the fact that the topic is also given some coverage as well in the new book just released by Mike Ratigan on extreme rifle accuracy. Mike is one of the best benchrest shooters around and his book is a treasure trove of information even if you do not shoot in competition. Anyway after reading the book I also asked 2 hall of fame shooters and 1 smith that has made more than 1 gun winning the supershoot. Other than case forming type stuff, all said that even in a BR chamber which has minimum specs, a case will regularly stretch from 1/2 to 1 thousanth upon firing which is why most shooters at a minimum will use a bump die for the shoulder. In anything other than a clean chamber, excess initial stretch will take place at the base-web leading often to premature case failure. As one hall-of famer stated with some humor, "that's why they sell all those chamber mops at Sinclair's"
Since this seems to be somewhat safety related I thought I'd share my results.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
Tim...

I usually avoid this topic, because I often shoot new cases in a chamber that has light coat of oil...
I've resorted to exactly the same thing on occasion. For exactly the same reasons. But of course, shooting a lightly oiled chamber or piece of brass for specific reasons or to achieve specific results probably isn't what the sources Tim quoted meant when they said not to do it either though.

Oh, and I usually refrain from talking about this kind of stuff on the 'net too .

- DAA
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Quick P.S...

Oh, while I'm on a roll and actually posting, worth mentioning one of the most common situations I have seen that calls for the lightly oiled case or chamber. And that would be fireforming brass for an AI chamber cut by a 'smith that doesn't understand how AI's work, and uses a GO gage for the parent cartridge - ending up with a chamber that's too long. I had two AI's built by a really big name 'smith that are like that. Head separations guaranteed, if you don't lighly oil the cases for fireforming.

- DAA
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 PM

DAA- I did just that, however merely re-cut the chamber without setting the barel back. I knew what would happen, just didn't care. Lighty oiled cases and with bullets seated to engage, ended up with perfectly formed brass. This was with the Swift - and 16% powder increase with 0 increase in velocity for the powders I had. It probably would have increased performance wiht the 'right' powder, but I cut her back and re-chambered to the shortened 1.5" Swift Imp. much the same as P&P did in the pre-Russian case times.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
...So I won't tell you that I keep a light coat of thin oil in my chambers when shooting cases for the foirst time!....
I've been using Ballistol when forming cases--really slippery and cleans up easy.