Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 04:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Dean:
Welcome to the board of friendly spenders on high priced guns. And a couple ex hoodlums too it seems.
IF you didn't try 40gr V'max's in that cannon, you should give 'em a try yet. Very fur friendly.
Don't let your wife read anything from here though.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 AM

Default Prescott - fond memories...

My first custom rifle came from Prescott.

In 1955, I was a Kingman high school sophomore with summer wages in the bank and a bulky, heavy Husqvarna 270 Win rifle with Lyman aperture sight ready for trade.

Jim Wilkinson at The Rifle Ranch in Prescott was a real gentleman who gave me a few breaks on a deal that found me with a Mauser actioned rifle, A&M 243 Win. barrel, Pecar 6X scope and a Bob Hooper (Ohio) walnut classic stock. Gorgeous gun that I still have. Atkinson & Marquart had just started their barrel making business in 1953.

I visited the A&M shop several times and will never forget Paul's pendulum chronograph! Marquart was also a gentleman and in later years helped Pat MacMillan set up his barrel making business. Most of Paul Marquart's machines are with a barrel maker in southeastern Arizona.

There are some sad tales about the A&M shop's later years and I will not state them in print. All of the old-timers I know approve of the 1975 Arizona State Supreme Court findings.

http://az.findacase.com/research/wfr...0147.AZ.htm/qx

That .243 Rifle Ranch rifle was going to be my all around gun, but it is now an exclusive varmint rifle. It took four well-placed rounds to put down a big mule deer buck while hunting way north of Peach Springs. I since chose to only go with cartridges that crumple (on the spot) the game hunted.

Sadly, the day is long gone when a kid with summer wages saved and a rifle to trade can wind up with a premier custom rifle. Fortunately, I have a Prescott gun that I can pass on to my grandson.

Jon....
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Supporting Member

Jon, was it Paul that worked with H&S ? I was thinking it was Bill Atkinson I had talked to back then. I do know it took me 3 years to get a barrel out of them back then.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 AM

Default Bill Atkinson - HS Precision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Jon, was it Paul that worked with H&S ? I was thinking it was Bill Atkinson I had talked to back then. I do know it took me 3 years to get a barrel out of them back then.
Ray -

Pat Mcmillan had told me that what equipment Bill Atkinson had, he sold to Tom Houghton of HS Precision. Atkinson became a shop foreman in the Ruger R&D shop.

Pat McMillan sold his shop to a former Marine Corps Armorer - Bill Wiseman.

Jon....
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 AM

This has been quite a trip down AZ's memory lane. Being an old fart, I enjoyed it.

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Supporting Member

While we are traveling back in time to a smaller Prescott with lower prices I think it's time for a couple of period appropriate pictures.
These I copied from Brother Kevin Gullette's vast collection of .17 caliber rifles and history. These pertain to Prescott Az, Atkinson and Marquart, Vern O'Brien, .17 caliber rifles and hunting big Brown Bears up north. Often reposted but certain to get a small caliber hunters "blood boiling", or "running cold" as the case may be.
First the Purchase order from Vern O'Brien who is credited ("wrongly we're told") with being the father of the .17 MachIV, actually P.O. Ackley's creation that O'Brien marketed. Different time back then.

Second the picture of said guide and bear.

The debate rages on about whether he lit the cigarette before or after he changed his skivvies???
Personally I think that is one "Hombre valiente" to keep it in the Southwest .
Cool stuff and thanks again Kevin!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Default Another Aussie

Yeah, this is another Aussie from across the Pacific. I hadn't spent much money on firearms for years until I started reading this forum. 2 rifles, one build, three new scopes, new triggers, countless reloading equipment and chronographs etc are all new aquisitions thanks to the encouragement of the so called gentlemen on this forum. But I have learnt so much more than I knew before and I love my shooting and fireams like my first love!! The hard part is putting up with the sense of humour of these guys! One could say that it is as deadly as my new 17Ah!! Cheers and welcome.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

That's one hell of a bear for a .17 cal no matter what case it came out of.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

G'day to you too, there, Camel. Couldn't help but having a chuckle thinking "yeah, and I'll bet he lives in CAMEL-LOT too." LOL

Anyhow, when you get that .20/222 set up, let's share some loads. I'm just getting started with mine, and there's a lot of experimenting to be done.

Neat thread, BTW! I'm waiting for Montdoug or other AZ guys to tell about eating cactus without pulling out the spikes.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post

Neat thread, BTW! I'm waiting for Montdoug or other AZ guys to tell about eating cactus without pulling out the spikes.
Since I was 3, wash it down with rattlesnake spit and pick my teeth with a scorpion stinger .