Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 PM

Let me make this clear.

I do not think and do not hope that the Hornady drawing will be different than the PTG drawing.

I think that PTG is a top quality tool maker. They are one of the better tool makers in the world. I own a number of their reamers and have used a number of their reamers. I have no complaint with their tools.

It is their drawings I have an issue with.

If the drawing that is posted here on this board had been from SAAMI or Hornday, I would have not batted an eye. The drawing came from PTG. I am well aware there have been issues on their interpretations in past. I did not want to deal with a second party drawing--Mr Murphy would love that.

Who would be accountable if I supplied JGS a PTG drawing and Hornady ammo and dies don't work with it.

I also know that Hornady is a top notch company. I have dealt with them for many years and will continue to do that.

I am just a bit concerned about what appeared to a be a bit of favoritism being showed in this chambering. I was particularly taken aback when JGS had told me that they had attempted to get the drawing from Hornady and could not.

I even asked here if this perhaps might be a proprietary cartridge. That would explained what looked like restricted access.

FWIW, I got a email from JGS this morning and they have been in contact with Hornady and have a drawing in route.

Last edited by Double D; 05-31-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM

I understand what you are saying but PTG made the print for Hornady. FYI , when you get your reamer, you should have about .003 clearance at the neck and body if it is correct.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Hey Douglas,

Nothing constructive to add but just noticed you are from Cutbank...spent a ton of time there years ago but haven't been there for way too long. (I grew up in Magrath, Alberta.) Caught the train from there many times and we used to cross border shop there all the time.

One place I used to love to go into was this really cool little old style hardware store; I believe it was called Hank's Hardware. I bought a ton of ammo from them and several old used scopes and miscellaneous other items. (I got this little Weaver TV view 3x9x40 that I used for years on my Brno Model #1 until it finally fogged on me.) IIRC though, they closed their doors in the mid-nineties. Nicest couple used to run it...definitely old school an likely gone from America for ever.

Anyway, best of luck with you on the 17 HH...I'm anxiously awaiting on CZ to release theirs.

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 PM

Cutbank! Wallace Stegner Country so I like it! Oone of my favoritest authors!

Went out today to do some fire forming on !7AH Cases that I have had loaded for two years! This has got to be one of the BEST cartridges ever! Preaching to the Choir here... but every time I shoot this round it blows me away with its performance!
Bill
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 AM

Here is the the unofficial explanation. There has not been an officially released print yet. It is expected to be released in the next few days, and that is expected to be the official SAAMI approved print.

That is the print I want.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 PM

Gentlemen I'm pretty sure I have a reamer drawing from MANSON receieved in the last few weeks, that clearly says "SAAMI approved" so I'm not too sure about this offical thing in a few days

Only reason I know this, is when I asked for the reamer drawings MANSONS replied but also informed me they can no longer send reamers to Australia, some dumb stupid damn new rule in the US, until further notice

So do any of you guys have a good clean used reamer you want to loan me for my conversion

DD if you want MANSONS SAAMI drawing, check your inbox

regards
S&F

Last edited by ShortandFat; 06-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM

ShortandFat,

Thanks for that drawing but it does not say SAAMI approved.

But I do have this official word this morning from Hornady:

Quote:
Douglas, the cartridge has been presented to SAAMI and this week they are having their meeting. We hope to have it approved so we can release the drawing. It will possibly be another couple of weeks before we can release it. Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Holy Moly!!!

This drawing thing is enough to confuse the government! Any Government!!!

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A17Shooter View Post
Holy Moly!!!

This drawing thing is enough to confuse the government! Any Government!!!
That's right and if you have been in this business as long as I have you would wonder why we don't have more problems. You would also understand why I want the the correct drawing, even if it is the same.

I have been away for a couple of days and when I checked my Email, I had an email from Hornady saying SAAMI has approved the drawing.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

DD
When you do get a SAAMI approved copy could you post it here for all to see and /or copy?
TIA
Larry

P.S.
And on behalf of the rest of us, thanks for all the trouble you've gone thru to acquire it. Very