Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member

I would prefer an honest review, good or bad as per each individuals findings. Never used PH rods, but have Dewey, Proshot, Tipton Carbonfiber. Have broken three Tiptons, and bent two Proshots and am using Tipton in my 17.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM

One thing I have found with patching. Get the correct diameter jag for your bore. If I'm using square patches that bridge when you try and enter the bore cut the corners off the patch. Doing this and using the correct diameter jag keeps most the solvent in the bore. I wet patch with rubbing alcohol.

For brushing your first couple passes takes a man not a boy to complete the full pass. Six passes is enough with the brush after 6 I load the brush up with solvent and go another 6. I always use a bore guide I like the ones I purchased from Russ Haydon eons ago. At a Shoot after brushing I either hose the brush with water or rubbing alcohol. Dump the brush after a days shooting.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 PM

Default PH Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
Bill
I'm of the opinon that Small Caliber is not the place for not so good revues of products that most see as favorable.

Stephen
Maybe it is just me, but too many people are either to picky or just like to complaint and run down someone's product. As I said I, for one, have used many brands over the past 60 years of shooting, from police shoots, high power rifle, hunting and general plinking, etc. They all do the job that they were built to do. Sure I favor some, but I still use each and everyone of the dozen or so rods, I have collected during that time and they work. One thing I do do, that we did not really have years back, was a rod guide, for the chamber entry. Bill K
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Default PH Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmthtr in Green Bay View Post
I would prefer an honest review, good or bad as per each individuals findings. Never used PH rods, but have Dewey, Proshot, Tipton Carbonfiber. Have broken three Tiptons, and bent two Proshots and am using Tipton in my 17.
I have two Proshots, SS, have not bent either one. I use them mostly in the 20 and 22 calibers. Have a Dewey for the 17. No problems with it either. I also have a assortment of other rods, gathered over the years, they do the job. The only rods I do not use any longer, are the screw or section type. One piece all the way. Bill K
Old 05-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Bill
I have a military one piece metal cleaning rod. Don't bother me. I run it down my Model 70 with an MTM cleaning guide. Patch it out with a Dewey. I also have wood cleaning rod for shotguns.

Stephen

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 PM

I'll add in my 2 cents on this:

Looking over at the rack, I see 5 Dewey's, 4 Ivy, and 6 Pro Shot, and 1 Boretech.

My Ivy and Pro Shot rods are my favorite, they are a blend of 17, 20, and 22 caliber rods. My Deweys are starting to peel a bit and the coating is getting a little tacky in spots.

I use guides as well and handle the rods with great care. I have to say, I've never bent or damaged a rod on any caliber.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

My 17 has a tight bore. The Tiptons the handles broke off. The Proshot bent getting the patch started.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Default PH rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmthtr in Green Bay View Post
My 17 has a tight bore. The Tiptons the handles broke off. The Proshot bent getting the patch started.
My Dewey 17 cal rod has a slight bend, they are very flexy. My Proshot s/s will bend slightly upon entering the bore guide, but never sets in the bend, always returns to straight and proper. Bill K
Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Vmthrt,

What make is your barrel ? Would you say it's tighter on average than a Lilja 17 barrel ?

S.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:48 PM

I have used the Dewey coated rods for many years in 22's and 6mm's. Always have provided the service that I required. In the 17's, I have both the coated and bare stainless rods. I really have never felt that I needed to change vendors for cleaning rods.

I am somewhat of a dinosaur, after shooting a string of shots, I put a couple of wet patches thru the bore using the appropriate bore guide. The bore guide in this case tries to seal up the chamber(o-ring on some) and keeps the trash out of the trigger area. I use the old Hoppes 9 for this, as still is a fair powder solvent and gives some lubrication to the upcoming patching routine.

The proper sized all bronze, (all bronze) brush is used next with the close fitting bore guide insert. I brace the rod with the oft hand on top of the towel covered buttstock. I guess I like the 44" (22's and larger bores)versions because of the technique that I was taught years ago on tools, materials, etc.

I still do not know why folks buy a one piece rod guide, really hard to see the benefit of them other than keep the fluids out of the trigger. One suspects that if the coated rods are scarred up, tis the beginning of the throat cutting into the flexed rod. Just my own opinion there.

I also see folks once the patch or brush clears the muzzle, quickly pull back on the rod. If one examines the rod/brush/jag interface(fit) their is sometimes a ledge there that bangs the crown on the back stroke. I have watched some pretty heavy benchrest shooters take the jag or brush off the rod before pulling back on the rod. Kinda a lot of effort, but those guys win with their equipment. One would suspect that some machining somewhere there would help out, but is another topic entirely.

The 17 cal rods are much more dainty and will not take much abuse without loosing their straightness. Proper patch size, close fitting guide, and technique will help their longevity.

I too remember coated rods of various makes that had their coatings ripped off, most were not using a bore guide at all or a one piece as I recall.

I have no complaints on the coated Dewey rods.