Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-19-2013, 02:16 AM

Default Day at the Range

Most shooters have different reasons to be at the Range, Some come to sell some to buy some to tell stories. I go to the range to either compete against others or shoot against myself.

Just dealing with a Range session day of shooting against myself. I try and be realistic. On a good day my BR guns I will pop .2 groups at 200yd. Ho hum. That's fine for later when it counts. I generally shoot my small caliber rifles on a practice day trying to get them to shoot 5 groups under an inch. Once I'm under an inch I can push for 3/4". Lastly a 1/2". I am not going to stand here and tell you I can shoot a one hole group at any distance all day. Few believe those claims, Mother Nature takes care of shooters that make foolish statements.

My typical day at the Range is to walk the range before the shooting starts. I like to shoot the far right side to stay away from the AR's throwing brass and the yuppie or oppie with a magnum with a recoil reducer. I'll set a couple windflags my smaller ones that most shooters can't hit. When the shooting starts sometime I'll walk the line looking to help the few trying to sight in, saves them ammo let's me fire a rifle I never have.

Some of the most important items at the Range are a good shooting chair and a spotting scope. I take at least 2 rifles to the Range. One competes against the other. Sometimes I load at the Range, more equipment needed. My next trip is all pre-loaded. My favorite rifles to take are my Rem 722 in .222 with my Lyman AA 20x scope and my Rem 788 in 6x47 Rem. with Tasco 36x scope. Don't get me wrong I'm not poor for equipment I have more expensive rifles and scopes, 10 Leupold scopes. Besides my rifles, the 2 I listed, will outshoot most anybody at my Range.

I clean at the Range and wet patch before I go home. I keep my targets and evaluate them at home. A good day is when I do a good job reading the wind sometimes mirage. A bad day is when I change my mind and not go.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Supporting Member

I prefer to go alone. But a day introducing a new shooter is fine also. I don't have many guns but the ones I have are good quality. I will always bring two also. It gives one a chance too cool down.

Thanx to the members here on Saubier I have become very anal about my reloads. My main purpose is too see if all that time and work pays off with some nice groups. I have to say the advice I get here has improved my shooting greatly. Sometimes I look threw the spotting scope then have to check to be sure I am lookung at MY target lol. One thing I have learned in my 63 years on this earth is listen to those who have done it.

My range is on a military base. Ft Dix. It is run by the US Army. An old friend who I had the pleasure of serving with in Vietnam works at the range. So I spend half my time shooting and the other half sitting on the porch talking guns, reloading, and of course Current Events. Although I have to put up with the Zombie Guns and braked 7mm Mags I always enjoy at day out there. It is where I go to have my kind of fun.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

If I plan on working a load for a rifle, I'll only take that one rifle. I might take one other to shoot while that one cools down. Too many guns to shoot and I don't concentrate on my loads.
Pulling targets to get a real close look tells me how my load is working and how to adjust to make it better.
We're always looking for a better load.
A little "male bonding" time never hurts either.
Some days I'll spend more time shooting the breeze that getting any "real"
work done. Any day at the range is a good day, no matter how it turns out.
I'll go alone but I like shooting with my shooting buddy. Seems like we never get together anymore. That needs to change. He keeps me humble.
Mid week always seems to be better. All the clowns show up on the weekends and the range can get crazy.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 05-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I usually take more guns n ammo than I can ever shoot. Just because there's enough shooters that sometimes there's not any vacant range open. I also like to play with the pistols and burn up much ammo with them too. Our range is out in the wide open prairie and the wind seems to blow out there when it's calm here in town. I've found even when there's a light breeze blowing here, it's best to just forget making the 13mile drive out there. IF I get on the hwy and see the flags blowing much at the car lots I turn around and come home knowing it'll be 30-40mph at the range. I've even had some thoughts about financing a phone line and wind reporting gizmo where we could call the range number and find out what the velocity is before making the trip.
Anyone know where I could find info on something like that? Just as well blow my money on something worthwhile as buying more booze n smokes for the girl friend!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 AM

geo
If you have a local airport they can give you a weather/wind report where their at or a county facility can help.

Stephen
Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Our local (old) range is best shot before noon as by 12:30, the swirling wind starts up, spilling over the berms and generally raising havok with groups - crossways, up, down and reversing, constantly. It is always changing direction, shot to shot and rarely can 2 shots be made before another change occurs, sometimes complete reversal. Best to shoot in the morning - breezes usually running over you right shoulder, and almost straight down the range.

I used to help guys sight in their big rifles, but nowadays, the torn shoulder cartilage says, "shoot your own guns, let them blast away by themselves. What is it with .300, .338 and .375 ULTRA MAGS and 20 year olds? Time to go up to the club house and shoot my air rifles indoors where the muzzle blasts no longer bother me.

The 200meter range is entirely different - yet right next door to the 100meter range. When all the wind trouble on the 100meter range strikes up, one merely walks 40yards and sets up on the 200range and gets constant breeze from 6 o'clock - no changes normally - it is a weird range to shoot.

I usually take a few rifles and spend a few hours there.

The snow is finally off the small bore range & the ground is drying up - time to shoot some rimfire.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Our airport is to the opposite direction so that's around 20miles apart or more.
Don't think what they'd have to say would relate to what's happening at the range. Good thought though, thanks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"