Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Bahler Bullet Making Dies

B&A clones. Allen Bench had 10 sets before he passed away, gave me his best set and 10 punches free grattis. Have a set for making 22 cal bullets, stainless dies of coarse for the era they were made. More later. What say you bullet engineers.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-27-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 AM

Found this link the on the weekend to the B&A pdf. Handy for spec'ing out die parts. Ceratinly something very few of us under 40 would have seen floating around anyway:

http://www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/B_A_dies/B_A_%20Dies.pdf

I've only got a B&A core squire die set for .224 cal, but it's the most consistent core squirt I own. It seems they didn't just talk quality, but they made it too.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Aaron
You and George U are really into precision bullet making dies and equipment, I appreciate that. I always rub elbows with Gary Ocock at the BR shoots. Gary is the greatest shooter I know in benchrest. Lester Bruno a close second.

If you could let me increase my knowledge on press punches by what you feel is important about benchrest bullet making punches.

Stephen Perry
Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
Aaron
You and George U are really into precision bullet making dies and equipment, I appreciate that. I always rub elbows with Gary Ocock at the BR shoots. Gary is the greatest shooter I know in benchrest. Lester Bruno a close second.

If you could let me increase my knowledge on press punches by what you feel is important about benchrest bullet making punches.

Stephen Perry
I'm still very much in the learning/expensive phase for boat tail punches so I'm not much use to you for flat BR punches. Everything I know so far comes from my engineering background, my mentor and any articles I can get my hands on.

Do you have the Bob Simonson's article from The Rifle Mag? Note the nominal die hardness of 66 HRC. You want keep your punches below this.

I also have a copy of the Rorschach - Directions for Setting Up and Operating... if you need a copy to go with your Rorschach dies.

I don't know that I would completely agree with either documents, but I sure would have liked the opportunity to meet them both in person.

Not sure how I'd go posting the documents/articles on a forum given copyright etc. I don't mind putting up links but prefer PM'ing or emailing at this stage.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 AM

Thumbs up Did you see this coming?

Stephen

I don't think I mentioned this, but I started with using your 'the ole bullet making thread' - days 1 to 4 and the 'No-Name Bullets' steps. I think it was off another forum at the time? I've added/modified the process here and there, but it still lives on the swaging bench.

I'm not sure what conclusions you'll draw from that little gem, but I'll say that anyone wanting to get started would do well to print-off and reference both those two forum/web topics.

Aaron
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM

I have some B&A dies as well. Had them sent to my gunsmith in the US almost a year ago, need to remind myself to have them sent to me!

Got them cheep on ebay, the seller didnīt really know what they were, he thought they were one set of .224 dies and one "smaller" set, but I doubt that. I will try to figure it out after the summer vacation. Will need some new punches for sure.