Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
Eric I have an RWS 48 I bought to eradicate the gophers (actually Richardson ground squirrels) that invade my yard from the neighbors pasture that borders the rear of my place, rather enjoyed it too (in spite of the fact that it is indeed a BEAST!!). As memory serves this one was through and through'd at near 50 yards.

I have a sheet of paper that I kept track of the dead gophers on and amortized the amount per dead gopher that Model 48 setup had cost me It was down to about $6.00 or $7.00 per squirrel last time I got one. Then over the course of a few years I ended up with two Cairn Terriers who are like laser guided gopher killers that are self operated. His first kill, but after that he had the knack!

This little gal is actually better at ruining my back yard gopher preserve than Gus is, quicker on her feet.

So much for my private gopher preserve, "GONE"!!! Oh well, the RWS doesn't come when I call it and keep me company out in the field.

Back to the topic of the .17 WSM. When it's introduction was first announced I noted that I could definitely see the attraction but had a hard time seeing it making it in the marketplace with all the recent additions to the small caliber sales floor. I also added that I hoped I was wrong, time will tell.
Eric I appreciate all the testing you share with us about all sorts of things and value your opinion on all of them, Thanks for the effort!! As to who likes what rifle I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I really like CZ's with the backward safety, drop down magazine, high scope position and all. Some call em ugly and hate em but that just leaves more of em for me to pick through "Wink-Wink"! To each his own.
Nice shots of your 48! I can't let my wife see your Cairn, or she will want one!

Thanks for the kind words!

Eric
Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 PM

I could see buying a reamer for the .17WSM and building one up on a Martini or such IF - the ammo cost was no more than loading the .17 AH. The current lands where we shoot the Columbia Ground Squirrels have been pretty much cleaned out in the large fields, so no more 400 to 500yard shots. We're down to about 340yards as tops for long range and the WSM should handle those. The big question is how much for ammo. right now, HMR's are running $150.00/wtaxes per brick at Walmart with higher prices everywhere else and up to $22.00 with tax.

The way I figure it, it costs me $14.50 per box of 50 AH's, taxes in. That is very close to HMR's at their very lowest cost here at $13.79 per box + Fed and Prov. sales tax. I cannot see a WSM - the AH will be about $5.00 dollars cheaper per 50, if not more.

I am currently playing with sub-normal speeds in the AH due to a shortage of good powders. I've had decent luck with AA2230, IMR 4227 and IMR4198. It was a nasty windy day and most groups were out in the 3/4 to 1inch range. but the wind waffled a bit for some 3/8" to 1/2" groups with 4198 then fliers when it started bouncing around again. I was testing (poor test) the Nosler Vamagedons in HP and tipped. They have potential. I was mostly fireforming brass as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Last summer, I found the air rifle was super for shooting ground squirrels around the out-buildings were we refused to use even the rimfires. I shot roughly 80 gophers in 2, 1/2 to 1 hour sessions. They were so thick and the air rifle's noise did not disturb them at all. I assume they were used to hearing louder sounds like the CF's and HMR in adjacent fields and did not equate the air gun with danger. I used a Weirhaugh 97 in .177, running 8gr. Predator's at 890fps.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Supporting Member

Any of you gentleman (or ladies) unhappy with your new 17 bmag I'd Seriously be interested in purchasing one or two.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned

Default 17B-mag

Im happy with mine! Shoots around 1" at 100yds. both 20 and 25gr. Every varmint Ive got in the cross hairs died!